softening water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• softening water

from what i heard, houston water is pretty hard right? anyone had to modify their water to keep red crystal shrimps?

I use Distilled water from the grocery store, though I think some fish stores sell RO water. I just keep them in smaller tanks to avoid high water costs.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

+1
      20 gal CRS
      137 gal Lake Tanganyika

Comment

oh nice, i found a place that sell RO water for 25 cents per gallon. guess a 10 gallons tank will only cost me 50 cents a week in water change

Comment

for shrimp you don't really want soft water per say..
          what you really want is water with low pH

soft water but with high pH will shorten the lives of CRS
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

You can mix RO half and half with tap to bring tds down, then acidify with peat to bring down ph. You never want to use straight RO or distilled to house your fish or shrimp as this will cause osmoregulation problems for them.

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

+1
              30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

i see, interesting. maybe i'll do a half and half. the substrate i'm using is supposed to keep pH low anyways.

Comment

if you are using ada for crs you should wait at least 2 month... the ph swing will kill your crs
                  20 gal CRS
                  137 gal Lake Tanganyika

Comment

oh no, i got this REX substrate from japan. friend came back on a business trip and gave me about 9 pounds of it

Comment

any pic of the substrate can't find any info online
                      20 gal CRS
                      137 gal Lake Tanganyika

Comment

i'm sorry, it's called GEX***

Comment

hey.. maybe that thing will be radiated and you'll have a new species of glowing shrimp!!!
                          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

lol, hopefully manufactured before the nuclear incident

Comment

So I am setting up my first freshwater shrimp tank, a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I have lots of experience with saltwater tanks but know almost nothing about fresh water chemistry. I have an RO/DI filter and would like to use RO water for this tank but was surprised when you said to mix RO and tap water for a shrimp tank. Are there chemicals/conditioners that I could add to the RO water in place of mixing with my 400+ TDS tap water?
                              300 Gallon Freshwater Turtle Tank
                              120 Gallon Reef
                              58 Gallon SPS Reef
                              57 Gallon Mixed reef
                              6 Gallon Fluval Edge Planted tank

Comment

Working...
                              X