Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught in neighborhood bayou

And I have no idea what it is.
    Sorry for the bad pics, the fish wouldn't stay still.

Any ideas? The face and end of the fins are very red. Body is a goldish green.

Oh and it is about 6-7 inches long.

Comment

Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis aureus), I have found them in a variety of spots around Houston and an invasive cichlid from Africa. Not a bad fish for a tank, though gets big and very aggressive. They are farmed for food and I believe that was the reason for their release. Here is a link to a collection of images from some caught in the Houston area.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

It might be a Texas cichlid.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis aureus), I have found them in a variety of spots around Houston and an invasive cichlid from Africa. Not a bad fish for a tank, though gets big and very aggressive. They are farmed for food and I believe that was the reason for their release. Here is a link to a collection of images from some caught in the Houston area.
          After looking online at other pics, like this one I think you hit the nail on the head.
          The bayou is full of them, and im going to need a bigger tank. They get big.

Comment

Pretty.....is it actually redish brown like the picture shows?

CF
            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan View Post
              Pretty.....is it actually redish brown like the picture shows?

CF
              It is bright red on the tips and reddish brown on the face.

Comment

gorgeous fish...nice catch.....keep it....for now...smiles.

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                  Nice call mnemenol. It looks like a blue tilapia to me. Great aqurium fish or a tasty dinner. Can't go wrong either way.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

good catch. I use to fish quite a bit and that sure is a tilapia!

I believe the law says that if you catch one, you have to gut it right away. Meaning cut it open and pull out the guts of it.

Someone check me on this.

Comment

Oh wow, is that because of how invasive they are? The bayou is full of them.

Comment

Originally posted by IlikeGUPPIES View Post

I believe the law says that if you catch one, you have to gut it right away. Meaning cut it open and pull out the guts of it.

You are spot on as well, here is the link

It is a violation to--
                        Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp, or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, except on those waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect.

I have seen them as far north as Conroe, though their population seems to be far more easily decimated by winters the further north you go. It has been my opinion that they would likely experience large die offs in the lower regions as well, but that heated gray water run off in the smaller canals and bayous provide enough heat to maintain their denser populations. Anyone interested in locating some of them should go to the Buffalo Bayou Disc Golf course, they are everywhere in addition to Mollies and Sleeper Gobies.
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by IlikeGUPPIES View Post

+1 on this.

Comment

Thanks mnemenoi and danielp,
                            Good job on the find guys.

I use to catch them and use them as bait for catfish jugging and trotlines.
                            Even the small ones when you catch them you got to gut them. It seems so cruel but it's the law. =D
                            You can even catch them on night crawlers and a bobber(float). Sometimes they will take jigs and lures as well.
                            They will give you a good fight too. =D

Comment

ooo.. we used to eat those things!
                              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
                              X