Houston Visit...Store Reviews Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Visit...Store Reviews Please

On either Saturday or Sunday (April 23 or 24) I will be in Southwest Houston. I will have about 4 hours to hit several LFS. Can anyone tell me about these:

Fish-R-Fun
    13150 FM 529 Rd # 107
    Houston, TX 77041

Fish Land
    13155 Westheimer Rd # 114
    Houston, TX 77077

T & T Tropical Fish & Reptile

Xtreme Fish & Pets
    11415 Bellaire Blvd # A
    Houston, TX 77072

Fish & Pets Unlimited
    12600 Bissonnet St # D5
    Houston, TX 77099

City Pets
    9901 Beechnut St
    Houston, TX 77036

Discount Tropical Fish
    11726 S Wilcrest Dr
    Houston, TX 77099

Fish Ranch II
    6734 Larkwood Dr
    Houston, TX 77074

Time is limited, so I don't want to drive to a store only to see that it is mainly just a pet shop and does not have a ton of fish. Feel free to pm me if you don't want your comments to be made public.

I am looking for good deals, I like plecos and South American community types; however, there will be others with me that like other stuff.

Thanks

there will be a group of friends from Baton Rouge like last time you guys were here? anyway, Im Tony, you guys stopped at my home last summer.
    There are someone who have even more fishes than fish stores. just depend on what you are looking for in specific.
    Last edited by specialone0812; 04-18-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I wanna say Fish R Fun is shut down. 529/Eldridge, I pass it about 3 times a week. Unless they moved...

T&T moved or is in the process of moving. Only two lights south on 6 though. I'd call them and figure it out. Decent but maybe not worth the drive.

Fish Land Prices are cheap and good selection sometimes.

I'd say check out Fish Gallery as well, They're in the process of relocating but 25% of purchase (If i remember correctly) is kinda a sweet deal if there's any cool fish still there. Location 59/kirby

Fish ranch has a ton of FW stuff. You definitely wanna check Tran out, he's a cool guy.

Comment

Skip Discount Tropical Fish. He has an extremely small selection and the store is filthy. Honestly, I'm not sure how he stays open.

+1 on Fish Ranch and Tran being a cool guy. Pretty good selection, too.
        210G Malawi haps, peacocks, and clown loaches
        135G buccochromis rhoadesii & 135G Malawi haps & peacocks
        125G aristochromis christi & 125G Malawi hap & old clown loaches
        90G star sapphire
        75G buccochromis rhoadesii
        55G ?
        30G aulonacara Midnight & 30G eclectochromis fry

Comment

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
          there will be a group of friends from Baton Rouge like last time you guys were here? anyway, Im Tony, you guys stopped at my home last summer.
          There are someone who have even more fishes than fish stores. just depend on what you are looking for in specific.
          I am going to pick up some discus from Thomas. I am not sure who is going with me. Either Len (cajungator) or another guy named John will probably go with me. As for specifics, just want to look around. If anyone knows of any large blue discus for cheap, that is something that I am definitely looking for

Are you the person that I got that huge piece of holey rock from. That piece is a beast. It is a pain when I have to take it out to catch fry.

Comment

If you need supplies City Pet's is the stop to make.

Comment

Originally posted by clayt101 View Post
              Are you the person that I got that huge piece of holey rock from. That piece is a beast. It is a pain when I have to take it out to catch fry.
              yeah, it was me.

Comment

Fish r fun is closed. Tnt is real good but they're moving so their selection might not be too good. Fish land has awesome prices on tanks. Is fish ranch the place off 59? I'm not much of a fan if so. Extreme is nice but will never buy fish there again. HAW off Murphy Rd. has nice discus. My favorite store in town is Ultimate Fish off of 2920. It's on the north side of town but worth a look.

Comment

Fish Gallery and Houston Aquarium Warehouse are both awesome, but time is limited. I called HAW, but they don't have anything that I am looking for at the moment, and I can't really afford Fish Gallery. I really don't have time to go to the North Side or I would stop by Fish R Us...this trip is just one day.

Comment

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
                    yeah, it was me.
                    It is a great piece (and the price was right), but boy is it tough to get out of the aquarium.

Comment

Fish Gallery is about shut down for the move. Was in there last week and didn't see anything i would take home.

Comment

City pets

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                          If you need supplies City Pet's is the stop to make.
                          +1 Donnie has the goods
                          Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

The healthiest fish that can survive a stressful trip home are at Extreme, Fish Land and City Pets. We have never gotten a sick fish from any of those stores (and we buy A LOT of fish).

Extreme is fresh only, but they have a lot of very unique stuff. Extreme is the LFS here for show quality tank busters and psychos. They also are great about having a decent fancy pleco selection at all times, and they tend to have some pretty cool oddballs (some of which barely show up on a google search because they are so rare). They bring in WC fish that are rarely imported. We bought a WC pair of geos there that were a pair in the wild and are a breeding pair in our tank, who are side by side night and day.

Fish Land and City Pets both have extremely healthy stock in fresh and salt. City Pets is a lot bigger, has an amazing selection of equipment and supplies, and they offer plants as well. My baby Fahaka is from City Pets, and he eats NLS pellets like a gangster lol.

Fish Land is where I get almost all my planted tank fish. They always have a great stock of tetras, rainbows, and clean up crew fish. Captive bred Fish Land fish are tough as nails and extremely adaptable. They also have a lot of great natural scapeing materials.

We buy a lot of fish from everywhere (we are a fish loving couple), but the fish that end up thriving and surviving are from those 3 stores. The other LFS's just don't keep their tanks clean enough to have healthy fish. You put fish from those three stores in a healthy tank and the colors will be vivid in minutes and breeding behavior can start within a week.

Hope that helps.
                            25g Baby Fahaka Puffer
                            75g South American

Comment

global leader aquatics

Originally posted by Mrs. Tittles View Post
                              The healthiest fish that can survive a stressful trip home are at Extreme, Fish Land and City Pets. We have never gotten a sick fish from any of those stores (and we buy A LOT of fish).

Extreme is fresh only, but they have a lot of very unique stuff. Extreme is the LFS here for show quality tank busters and psychos. They also are great about having a decent fancy pleco selection at all times, and they tend to have some pretty cool oddballs (some of which barely show up on a google search because they are so rare). They bring in WC fish that are rarely imported. We bought a WC pair of geos there that were a pair in the wild and are a breeding pair in our tank, who are side by side night and day.

Fish Land and City Pets both have extremely healthy stock in fresh and salt. City Pets is a lot bigger, has an amazing selection of equipment and supplies, and they offer plants as well. My baby Fahaka is from City Pets, and he eats NLS pellets like a gangster lol.

Fish Land is where I get almost all my planted tank fish. They always have a great stock of tetras, rainbows, and clean up crew fish. Captive bred Fish Land fish are tough as nails and extremely adaptable. They also have a lot of great natural scapeing materials.

We buy a lot of fish from everywhere (we are a fish loving couple), but the fish that end up thriving and surviving are from those 3 stores. The other LFS's just don't keep their tanks clean enough to have healthy fish. You put fish from those three stores in a healthy tank and the colors will be vivid in minutes and breeding behavior can start within a week.

Hope that helps.
                              go check them out have the healthiest fish and corals around....went to fish land the main tank has parasites ....80 percent of the stock is infested ...dont believe me have him dip the fish in front of you....i personally know two or three guys that have spent over 2000n in stock there and all have become sick....city pets is kool !!

Comment

Working...
                              X