Crazy Texas Chick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Texas Chick!

Finally got a male green texas the thing is the female beat up on him pretty good....Well I have a divider in the tank and i'll try to take it out in a few days or so. What should I do if they fight again? I was thinking raise the temp a bit to see if it makes her want to breed or possibly get around 10 feeders to see if they hunt em together. If anyone has experience please let me know whats worked for you or any ideas would be great. Thanks
    Forget the dog.
    Beware of fish!
    :ertrink:

I would try re-scaping the tank, maybe even take her out for a while when you do so. I always would move stuff around as a rule when introducing new aggressive breeds, especially WC TC. Maybe give him somewhere to hide as well, she should come around after all that.

BTW: Where did you find him?
    • 2000g Outdoor Pond w/ WC Texas Cichlids
    • 90g high & 42g corner bow-front Lake Malawi
    • 45g high grow-out tank
    • 10 & 20g grow-out tanks, Lake Malawi fry & BN Plecos

Comment

Right now I only have a 20 gal tank and little to scape with it wouldn't be hard to find him in that small of a tank but i do have plans on a 55 gal in the near future...can you think of anything else that may work? He's not wild caught I would have loved to catch one this weekend but had no luck whatsoever....was probably the area that i was at!
      Forget the dog.
      Beware of fish!

Comment

I would try just about anything, a pvc elbow or short piece of corrugated drain pipe. Just something for him to go hide in & that changes her environment.
        • 45g high grow-out tank

Comment

Will do...thanks
          Forget the dog.
          Beware of fish!

Comment

I guess I was wrong about that male...maybe he needed time to recoup from where i got him but I took the divider out and they fought for about 5 minutes, then something I didn't expect to happen did...the female actually started running from him and about 20 minutes I noticed her in the pot cleaning it....the male was doing a shimmy shake and moving rocks like I have seen other cichlids do when they are ready to mate! hmm will post more info later
            Forget the dog.
            Beware of fish!

Comment

Well I guess my female texas isn't ready to breed so my male is still chasing her alot...Woody I took your advice and rescaped the tank with some rocks I got from my cousin and also took the male out for a bit. Not sure its working but here's a pic of the newly scaped tank...100_0071.jpg
              Forget the dog.
              Beware of fish!

Comment

A larger tank will do you good. Saw a few on here lately for cheap. You might want to grab one of them & I am sure they will do better with more room & scaping.

Sell, Trade, Want or Need Fish, Plants, Corals, Inverts, etc. If it's alive, post it here.
                • 45g high grow-out tank

Comment

Mean fish lol

Comment

Working...
                  X