Sargassum fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sargassum fish

Took a few pics of my sargassum fish today while he was out.

And the others while I was at it.

Shrimp;

and the nudi
    Last edited by Sea-agg09; 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

Crazy fish. This is why I'm getting into saltwater.
    Damn this hobby......

Comment

Interesting where did you get him?
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
        Interesting where did you get him?
        I think he said Galveston on another thread. You can prolly get some at the GHAC trip to Freeport next month.
        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

thats cool! you dont see a setup like this everyday :emt_thumbs:
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

+1!

Extreme WC and biotope set up!
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
              +1!

Extreme WC and biotope set up!
              I MAY let you do this kinda biotope for me.
              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

do you have to make constant run to galveston for Sargassum? that's really cool

Comment

that is a very cool fishie......thanks for sharing...is that a wild caught fish or did you purchase it?...

Comment

Member daddy found these guys in galveston, and graciously gave them to me. They are all over the place, so you should be able to find them on your collecting trip. Just go deeper into the water because they "abandon ship" when they sense that the large wave action near the shore" Hint; younger ones (smaller) are much easier to care for, and take to captive care much better than old farts. They are sensitive to over-feeding and all the like. Because I have time to work with this guy, he will probably end up taking frozen mysis easily.

I will be letting the nudibrach go, they will ONLY eat the bryozoans that will ONLY live on LIVE sargassum... way too much work, not to mention the whole sanitary aspect of putting wild sargassum into the same system as a reef tank. He is also very well camouflaged, and I can never see him. If I were doing a true sargassum tank (/drool) that would be fine, but not in this situation. The shrimp will be let loose into the main tank. When they get berried, I will probably put them back into QT to try to keep the babies. The fish will go into a large in-tank refugium.

I'm tracking down some very realistic fake sargassum for the fish to hang out in. All the stuff I found so far looks terrible and is just one twig of the stuff. I'm having a friend at moody track down where they got their fake sargassum, as it actually looks real. As for now, I'm picking up some live stuff off the beaches. My girlfriend lives in galveston, so I am down there quite a bit anyways.
                    Endlers
                    gobies
                    lots of nanos

Comment

I've collected a few of these guys in Galveston. They will make short work of the shrimp, also love ghost shrimp and piggy perch fry. Caught mostly at the tidal pools @ the end of the seawall. Sargassum will float over the rocks on calm am high tides without losing the fish. As long as the surf is calm, the fish/shrimp/crabs/nudi's/snails will stay in the sargassum in the pools and crevices between the rocks. When seas gets rough, at high tide they'll swim out. Just be careful, as the rocks can be very slick at times.

I've got a few bait traps left out in Tiki to collect food for him and my oyster toadfish. If I don't check my traps very often I usually only end up with one overfed oyster toadfish in the traps. My toadfish loves nudis too-To be honest, he'll eat just about anything.

Comment

Will the sargassum not grow in the tank?
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Mine has grown.
                          photo3.JPG
                          photo.JPG
                          Here is a typical blenny I catch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                            Will the sargassum not grow in the tank?
                            I think he means the actual sargassum algae. And in most cases it doesn't. It needs really good lighting (5+ watts per gallon), but even still it usually just falls apart and rots. I don't want to put it in because of the whole quarantine thing. Because my native is connected to my reef tank, I don't want all those micro-inverts getting in and eating y coral.
                            Endlers
                            gobies
                            lots of nanos

Comment

I still have a couple collected Saturday. I had 6, but my large Sargassum fish ate 4 of them. They are small 1"-2". If anyone in the area is interested in them let me know soon, otherwise they will be fodder.

Comment

Working...
                              X