April meeting and a look into next month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April meeting and a look into next month

This April's Meeting, which is going to be a local field trip, would fall on Easter weekend, so we are pushing to April 30. More details to come, but Alexander Duessen Park is looking to be a good spot for introducing folks to the outdoors.

I want to let you in on the plans for May so you can mark your calendars. We are planning a joint field trip with the DFWAPC group to San Marcos. We'll spend the day checking out the river and it's appurtenances and do a little collecting (and eating ). The date will be May 14 OR 21...still to be determined. We want to get to San Marcos by 11:00, so we'd need to meet up and carpool (or whatever you want to do) early.

Our regular May meeting will still be held at the regular date of May 28.
    Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Also, for anyone interested. HAAPS members have been invited to attend the GHAC beach trip, you can find information here

Comment

It's official!! The San Marcos trip is May 21 and we'll get to the Arboretum in San Marcos at 11:00.

If you've never seen a volleytball of Fissidens or a Riccia mat the size of your head, now's your chance! :) (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much of one. ) Some of the DFW groups will be making a weekend trip out of this, so if you are into camping feel free to make a long weekend out of it. There is conoeing/kayaking on the river available and TONS of stuff to do in the San Marcos area.

I'm looking forward to a much needed trip!!
      Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
      Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Here is a link to the Aquarena Center where we will be meeting at 11:00 for the San Marcos trip. For those who will carpool, we can find a central spot in Houston. For those who want to drive themselves/families, just meet up at the Aquarena Center.

Comment

For an interested party......aprils meeting{ is there still one scheduled}? And what sort of mental or physical requirements or tests must be passed to be considered to pledge into the plant group?

Comment

Yes, sorry for dropping the ball

This weekend April 30 as listed above
            Time 12:30
            Alexander Duessen Park http://www.co.harris.tx.us/comm_lee/PDeussen/

There is a Buffalo pen there that seams to be the main land mark since it is hard to miss so lets meet up there.

Recommended items to bring
            zip lock bags (if you find anything to collect you will want these)
            mudboots
            if you are looking for fish, shrimp or crayfish then you will want a dipnet, bucket & fishing license (even minnows need a license)

Dave will not be able to make this meeting which is a bummer since he is the plant ID guru (expecially in this area) so I will be conducting the outing.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Sorry to have missed it. I had a car club meeting that I thought was on sunday. Any wild stories or cool finds?

Comment

Can I get some?

Originally posted by davemonkey View Post
                  It's official!! The San Marcos trip is May 21 and we'll get to the Arboretum in San Marcos at 11:00.

If you've never seen a volleytball of Fissidens or a Riccia mat the size of your head, now's your chance! :) (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much of one. ) Some of the DFW groups will be making a weekend trip out of this, so if you are into camping feel free to make a long weekend out of it. There is conoeing/kayaking on the river available and TONS of stuff to do in the San Marcos area.

I'm looking forward to a much needed trip!!
                  Can anyone get me one of those volleyballs of fissidens?! My daughter has her First Communion on Sunday and so I cannot attend this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
                    Can anyone get me one of those volleyballs of fissidens?! My daughter has her First Communion on Sunday and so I cannot attend this trip.
                    Congratulations to your daughter! If I see alot of Fissidens, I'll grab you up some.

Just 2 weeks until the big trip to San Marcos with the DFW group. As dry as Texas has been, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing some flowing water and aquatic plants that are still submerged.

Here, again, is a link to the Aquarena Center where we will be meeting at 11:00 for the San Marcos trip. For those who will carpool, we can find a central spot in Houston.

We'll meet up, play a bit until lunch, eat, then play some more along/in the river.

-Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'd appreciate it. With the temperatures going up, it sure would be nice to get into that nice cold river! Have fun. I recall some talk about Nacogdoches, and some plants around there, let me know if you will ever do a trip up there.
                      Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-08-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

You bet. There is a great spot in Nacogdoches, but for the drive up there I would not want to go during a drought. The plants will be there (emersed of coarse) but there would be no water for catching critters. My brother used to live up there and could scout it for us when the weather and water were just right, but he's since moved.

Comment

Working...
                        X