WC Green Texas anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC Green Texas anyone?

I was thinking of grabbing the poles,a trap and a net to try my luck at catching a mate for my green texas this weekend. Does anyone know where i can find them in abundance i'd like to get my girl a man as she seems lonely in her tank. I'd also like to be choosy and any information would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks for looking!
    Forget the dog.
    Beware of fish!
    :ertrink:

Ah, this is my first time posting and I think I deleted my first response! You can get some very nice looking males from the headwaters of the Comal Spring upstream from the Landa Park wildlife refuge (off-limits) area. It's easiest to catch them at night when they aren't moving around (evading you) so much. I'm planning a trip back down there soon as a friend is wanting to get some to stock his aquaponics tank. If you're local or willing to make the drive, there's definitely enough fish for the two of you without depleating the population. If you're interested, I recently finished producing a short documentary about the breeding and development of Texas Cichlids:

Also, I've written some information about the species and my experience with them on this page: http://www.aquaticopia.com/My-IDs/Texas-Cichlid

Cheers,
    Craig

Comment

Yeah i dont know about going to a refuge! I'm sure there are other spots probably will go searching this weekend. thanks though
      Forget the dog.
      Beware of fish!
      :ertrink:

Comment

He's right, though, San Marcos is the best place I know of currently for Texas cichlids. I'm more of a small fish kinda gal, though, so I don't know of any spots around Houston. :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

This guy's caught pretty much everything there is to catch around here, and documents it all, as well. :)

Here's his Texas Cichlid info:

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

They're locally abundant in this area. I personally know a bayou in Sugar Land that's full of them. Drop a minnow trap during the right part of the year and you'll find a dozen small ones 30 minutes later. Catch bigger ones on worms almost as soon as the hook hits the water. I'm not sure if they're spawning yet but I wouldn't doubt it. If you're interested I'll tell you over PM where to look.

Comment

I think all the TC in this area are of the common variety Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum, not the green TC Cichlasoma carpinte. I have raised several WC TC from upper White Oak Bayou tributaries & have had them produce many offspring in my backyard pond & indoor tanks. Anyone wanting some can hit me up (I have a tank with about 20, 2 - 4 inch fish from last fall hatching in my 45 gal & need to move them). They have already begun spawning!!! I still have two mating pair WC adults in my pond & several more 1-2 inch fry with them still that survived the winter.

Last edited by Woody; 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM.
              • 2000g Outdoor Pond w/ WC Texas Cichlids
              • 90g high & 42g corner bow-front Lake Malawi
              • 45g high grow-out tank
              • 10 & 20g grow-out tanks, Lake Malawi fry & BN Plecos

Comment

Working...
              X