Cover for shrimp tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover for shrimp tanks?

Anyone have/use covers for their shrimp tanks? I've seen tons of video's and pictures of tanks without lids. One of the ghost shrimp jumped out, so I am a little concerned. While the ghost shrimp are by FAR more active than the sulawesi skrimps going in, I would rather not lose one. I could make a mesh screen easily enough, but I'm just wondering if it is necessary.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

i have a planted tank with red cherry shrimp, i did not have lids before and i found at least 5 shrimps on the floor every morning, they just climb onto the top of the plants and jumped out. now i have lid, prob solved.

Comment

yeah it would be best.
      ive lost many rcs to that.
      FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

I have a large colony of CRS in a rimless thank, frequently they will work the top of the plants, almost out of the water, but they never get out, I don't think they want to.

I also have a large planted tank, Rimless, with some Amano Shrimp. First I put in a dozen and at least many jumped out, or some hid, died or whatever. I put in another dozen and half of those jumped out or hid. But after a few weeks those that stayed came out, found a place in the tank and now seem quite happy. They don't seem intrested to leave anymore. I read some other posts that some shrimp take time to establish a territory, but after that they stay in the tank.

One other thing I noticed is that the shrimp are the first things to get unhappy if your water goes off, like from a water change. I've a few minor glitches and they are always first at the top of the tank, wanting out.

Comment

you can use a reptile tank cover, its small diameter air holes(screen) wont allow anything to get out. I got one for a 15g here if you can use it, send me a message.

Comment

I have 3 shimp tanks without lids . . . and 5 with lids at this point. I keep lids on my tanks to help reduce evaporation moreso than to stop shrimp from jumping. I've never found a shrimp on the floor . . . but I also have three cats!

Cardinals don't seem to get too high in my tank . . . they hardly ever get more than 1/2 way up for whatever reason. Some other sulawesi shimp seem to be more active . . . and you would have a great rsik of casualties with those.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

i had one of the shrimp tim gave me jump out of my pico a few nights ago... he lived but he almost became dog food

Comment

What size tank do you have? I may have a lid or two.

Comment

Versa tops. Nuff said.

Comment

I make my tops out of pet screening and a metal frame. It cost 10 dollars at walmart, lets all the light in, and keeps the livestock in as well. I guess I will make a top in the next few weeks.
                    75 planted (Being Renovated)
                    Endlers
                    gobies
                    lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
                    X