Betta brownorum "Brown's dwarf fighter"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta brownorum "Brown's dwarf fighter"

Here are some pics of my Betta brownorum. It's a a wild betta in the Coccina Complex (dwarf bubble nest building bettas -growing to about a an inch or so). They have very snake like bodies and "slither" through plants and leaf litter. This guy is quite young. He's not in full color (a deep overall wine red color with a green spot). The female (though hard to sex at this point) is smaller, stockier, and similarly colored.
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

More picas:
      Female on left in submissive colors, Male on right in normal coloration
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

These fish are truely little jewels. They attain a maximum size of under 2 inches, more comonly near 1.5 inches (males are larger than females) in about 1 year. Sexual maturity is obtained about six months. Many sources say they donot tend to eat their own young. They can be housed in pairs. Mine live in a 1 gallon cube. They attain a deep red color with either a blue or green blotch at the center of the body. They live in small puddles and pools of stagnant water, amongst leaf litter. The humic acid/tannins stain the water a tea color making for very low pH (3.5-6). I use RO water and blackwater extract. My pH is 4, with near 0 degrees of hardness. They are cyptic and spend much of their time hiding. Mine have slowly warmed up to me. Filtration is not important and neither is water movement. The low pH keeps the water quite sterile and lowers amonia toxicity. I do 30-50% water changes with a few drops of black water extract. In a natural setting they feed on mites, insects, and ants. Their is a theory that their bright colors may serve to warn of noxious substances in their skin, much like poison dart frogs, who also eat ants. Mine are fed a diet of frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried blood worms, and freeze dried mysis shrimp.
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Wow, those are some really beautiful fish. And that's some low pH! Wow. Great job!
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Old thread bump but these are amazing
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I was looking into these last week. What betta species have you found to be decent parents (i.e. would eat eggs/fry) if any?
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Baller bettas I don't want to mess with keeping ph low
                Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

The brownorums have done well in varying pH. I had a pair in tap water pH 8, no problems. They even spawned. The first pair was kept in a low pH enviroment. They just don't want to spawn unless there are competing males. The fry are very small. I had more of an issue of feeding them (live foods) than parents eating them soo long as there is enough cover. I had moved fry to their own tank but I think it shocked them. They're not anymore difficult than B. splendens, infact easier, because they need less water volume. I lost all my fish due to neglect (between, baby, my wife getting sick, and work).
                  Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Sucks you lost your fish :(
                    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

ohlookee another porterite...surprised i havent met you at the walmart lol. so did they have to be in the same tank with the competing male or was just seeing the other male in a nearby tank or subdivision enough? those are nice, sorry to hear about the loss
                      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I've never been huge on bettas, but I think you just changed my mind. Beautiful fish. Sorry to hear you lost them.
                        "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

there are so many different types and yall have so many nanos that you could have quite a collection! despite what i have read, mine have always done well in community tanks as long as there arent other fish that look or act similar like african butterflyfish, longfin danios or dwarf gouramis
                          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I put mine in the same tank. Or rather it was 3 pairs in the same tank. They wouldn't spawn when only paired up. They also did better without a filter in a low tech planted set up.
                            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I also didnt remove any fish after spawning
                              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                              X