PDA

View Full Version : Betta brownorum "Brown's dwarf fighter"

black_knight
03-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Here are some pics of my Betta brownorum. It's a a wild betta in the Coccina Complex (dwarf bubble nest building bettas -growing to about a an inch or so). They have very snake like bodies and "slither" through plants and leaf litter. This guy is quite young. He's not in full color (a deep overall wine red color with a green spot). The female (though hard to sex at this point) is smaller, stockier, and similarly colored.

black_knight
03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_evsz7iR3ufU/TXuPNjeFu5I/AAAAAAAAAEA/5JrnbiId2eo/s512/B%20brownorum%201.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_evsz7iR3ufU/TXuPPS0IvaI/AAAAAAAAAEE/FQas586c7PE/s512/B%20brownorum%202.jpg

black_knight
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
More picas:https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_evsz7iR3ufU/TYled5WLm9I/AAAAAAAAAEo/-ZP1x7Bgjtc/s512/B%20brownorum%20flare%201.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_evsz7iR3ufU/TYleAsELS5I/AAAAAAAAAEY/vGL2FvGtTME/s512/B%20brownorum%203.jpghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_evsz7iR3ufU/TYlePgR4vHI/AAAAAAAAAEg/5ROPwjfiDUk/s512/B%20brownorum%204.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_evsz7iR3ufU/TYlesyFM-wI/AAAAAAAAAFo/mX6QoHHo090/s512/B%20brownorum%20pair%201.jpg
Female on left in submissive colors, Male on right in normal coloration

black_knight
03-22-2011, 11:27 PM
These fish are truely little jewels. They attain a maximum size of under 2 inches, more comonly near 1.5 inches (males are larger than females) in about 1 year. Sexual maturity is obtained about six months. Many sources say they donot tend to eat their own young. They can be housed in pairs. Mine live in a 1 gallon cube. They attain a deep red color with either a blue or green blotch at the center of the body. They live in small puddles and pools of stagnant water, amongst leaf litter. The humic acid/tannins stain the water a tea color making for very low pH (3.5-6). I use RO water and blackwater extract. My pH is 4, with near 0 degrees of hardness. They are cyptic and spend much of their time hiding. Mine have slowly warmed up to me. Filtration is not important and neither is water movement. The low pH keeps the water quite sterile and lowers amonia toxicity. I do 30-50% water changes with a few drops of black water extract. In a natural setting they feed on mites, insects, and ants. Their is a theory that their bright colors may serve to warn of noxious substances in their skin, much like poison dart frogs, who also eat ants. Mine are fed a diet of frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried blood worms, and freeze dried mysis shrimp.

Mzungu
03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Wow, those are some really beautiful fish. And that's some low pH! Wow. Great job!

eklikewhoa
10-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Old thread bump but these are amazing

armthehomeless
06-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I was looking into these last week. What betta species have you found to be decent parents (i.e. would eat eggs/fry) if any?

sunkenmetal
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Baller bettas I don't want to mess with keeping ph low

black_knight
06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
The brownorums have done well in varying pH. I had a pair in tap water pH 8, no problems. They even spawned. The first pair was kept in a low pH enviroment. They just don't want to spawn unless there are competing males. The fry are very small. I had more of an issue of feeding them (live foods) than parents eating them soo long as there is enough cover. I had moved fry to their own tank but I think it shocked them. They're not anymore difficult than B. splendens, infact easier, because they need less water volume. I lost all my fish due to neglect (between, baby, my wife getting sick, and work).

sunkenmetal
06-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Sucks you lost your fish :(

Totenkampf
06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
ohlookee another porterite...surprised i havent met you at the walmart lol. so did they have to be in the same tank with the competing male or was just seeing the other male in a nearby tank or subdivision enough? those are nice, sorry to hear about the loss

LooksLater
06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I've never been huge on bettas, but I think you just changed my mind. Beautiful fish. Sorry to hear you lost them.

Totenkampf
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
there are so many different types and yall have so many nanos that you could have quite a collection! despite what i have read, mine have always done well in community tanks as long as there arent other fish that look or act similar like african butterflyfish, longfin danios or dwarf gouramis

black_knight
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I put mine in the same tank. Or rather it was 3 pairs in the same tank. They wouldn't spawn when only paired up. They also did better without a filter in a low tech planted set up.

black_knight
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I also didnt remove any fish after spawning

Totenkampf
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
so the males wont kill each other off immediately?

black_knight
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
I kept them in groups. They don't fight to death. They are much more like Betta imbellis. They need small caves to hide in. Use small 1/2 diameter pipes cut to 1- 1 1/2 iches in length for hiding, and 1 inch diameter pipes or seedling clay pots for breeding. Now I'm not an expert, this is just what worked for me. I've not raised fry to adulthood yet, but I can't imagine it being any diffrent from Betta splendens, which I have raised to adulthood.

sunkenmetal
06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
where is porter?

Totenkampf
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
up north of humble and kingwood on 59

black_knight
06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd say that these dwarf bettas are hardier than your average betta. They just tend to jump out of even the smallest hole, or if you forget to cover the tank. Since my original post, I can tell you they will do well on most high protien dry foods. They will eat tetra color bits, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried blood worms.
They are quite rewarding as long as people understand they are secretive fish. They don't swim about much. The colors are an off and on thing, depending on their mood (which varies minute to minute ;)).
If your into more out going bettas: Betta albimarginata, Betta falx, and Betta channoides are mouthbrooders that are more tame and very active and slightly larger than the dwarfs. See my other post