Skimmer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skimmer question

Who runs their skimmer on a timer? Either on at night, or on during day. I think it might be better for the planktonic critters.
    39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

I run mine 24/7. One thing to worry about when running on/off is make sure you have a collection cup. When it first powers on it the skimmate may be "wet"
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I am seriously thinking of timing a down period in the evening, which will be my typical feeding time. I now have quite a few filter feeders, and it just does not work to run the slightly oversized skimmer when I provide store bought phytoplankton. ("I paid good money for that, now y'all eat!")
      The skimmer can strip it all out before anyone has much of a chance to enjoy it. Sponges, feather dusters, barnacles, and an undiscovered number of clams or oysters. Give diversity a chance!
      ????????????What about adding the phytoplankton to a timer controlled fresh water top off jug?????????? Would plankton go bad?
      39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

Working...
      X