Field Trip Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Trip Ideas

We'll have to discuss more about Field Trips and "when, where, etc..." at meetings, but I thought it would be a good idea to jot down some ideas for places to go ditch -diving as a club. Feel free to post your favorite spots.

Nacogdoches - Plant Materials Center: the forested area has several wet spots and depressions with an array of plants and inverts. It's a long drive, but well worth it if the weather is right.

Chambers County - local farms and ranches: I MIGHT be able to get us onto some private land with access to lots of freshwater wetlands. My favorite hot-spot has been sold and I'm not well-acquainted with the new owner. Definitely can get into the marshes, but I'm not sure what we'd do in saline areas (maybe hunt nerites?...I wouldn't know where to start).

Alexander Deussen Park (NorthEast Houston): the entrance is loaded with lilies and fish and inverts and there are some shallow drainage ditches running through. Lots of marginal plants that could be grown submersed.
    Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
    Also follow us on Facebook and APC

My vote is for any of these, or others. I have been to the three listed above and there is great plant and fish collecting to be had. Nacogdoches could be a little bit of a haul but I am gain.

Also, HAAPS has been invited to joint GHAC at their beach gathering, you can find info here .
    Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Working...
    X