Dragon/Violet Goby in salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon/Violet Goby in salt

So in my quest to do everything out of the ordinary, I want to keep the native Dragon Goby, also called a violet goby in my native tank. At one point petsmart would sell them as full freshwater fish, but (fortunately) they don't anymore. I am in the process of tracking down one of these guys, but first I want to see if anyone has kept them in full salt. All I know is that they are sand sifters, and (when well fed) are incredibly docile.

If anyone has had a different experience, please chime in.
    Last edited by Sea-agg09; 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

I remember catching one (or a VERY similar looking species that was silvery in color) at a tidepool at Quintana Beach, Freeport. So they can tolerate full salt water. Unfortunately, he did not survive the stress of the ride home. He was about a 4 inch specimen.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

ive heard of people slowly getting them acclimated to full salt. So i think its possible, but im not sure if the are sand shifters. From when I looked up when a friend asked me was that there were predatory fish that eat smaller fish and meaty foods.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
        ive heard of people slowly getting them acclimated to full salt. So i think its possible, but im not sure if the are sand shifters. From when I looked up when a friend asked me was that there were predatory fish that eat smaller fish and meaty foods.
        They are definitely full salt. I've caught them in shrimp trawls out in the gulf. I've never heard that they eat smaller fish. From my reading, they get a bad reputation because they have teeth and a big mouth. Any info I have read said they "take in gravel". Apparently sand-sifter is a word reserved for salty ppl.

Found a picture of one caught just a bit south from lake jackson.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
        X