Effects of Carbon Dosing On NPS Corals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of Carbon Dosing On NPS Corals

There have been a number of studies and forum threads I have been reviewing which discusses and interesting idea: NPS corals are consuming bacteria from carbon dosing.

To sum up carbon dosing, its the process of introducing a fuel source for the bacteria presently in the system to increase reproduction and convert nitrates, phosphates and organics into their own cellular mass. This method seek to reduce nutrients in the form of dissolved organics, nitrate, phosphate to very low levels by having a skimmer remove the additional bio mass. This allows increased feedings and hopefully results in better coral health with a cleaner environment as well.

It has also been confirmed to some degree that "[t]here's no question that bacterioplankton have the potential to constitute a component of an azooxanthelate coral's energy budget ... whether it's much more than ~20% remains an open question. A far more interesting question ... to my little twisted mind, at least ... is what does the nutrient profile of a phytoplankton-bacterioplankton aggregate look like? I suspect that a phytoplankton cell with an associated bacteria colony delivers enough "enrichment" to make it worth the effort." By Gary White, Biologist.

But not all NPS corals are the same. "Dendronephthya are not bacteria feeders, rather phytoplankton feeders. Apparently, Scleronephthya are more omnivorous. Both are short lived on the reef. Gorgonians seem to be oriented toward bacteria and small zooplankton, but that is strictly an anecdotal observation. I suspect the Crinoids are, as well, but some seem to be very specialized in regards to food particle size." By Jamie V., Cologne.

Since dosing vodka, I have notice an increase in extension of polyps on my NPS gorgs.

to come....
    I ate my fish that died.
Working...
X