Pond pleco question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond pleco question.....

I have a plecostomus I recently acquired....from a person on CL.

I went to get what I thought was a 8'" or so fish.....turned out to be 13"+, basically a monster pleco. Brought him home, way too big for the inside 55 gallon. I kept it inside to watch for a few days, then put it outside.

He has been fine outside in a 400 gallon waterbox / pond I have.

Question is: The water is heated out there, but will get down in the 50's when it is really cold outside (like the freezing temps we have coming this next week). How cold hardy are plecos typically? Should I bring the fish in?

Anyone have any experience with this?

had a pleco first year i had my pond.

grew like crazy, died when i left it outside.

they don't do well in cold water.
    Duc
    Dallas Koi Kichi Group (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
    Houston ZNA Moto Kara Koi Kai (www.mkk-zna.org)
    IKONA (www.koishack.com)
    No Showa Left Behind
    Friendship Through Scales
    Proud Subscriber/Support of KOI USA, the official magazine of The AKCA (www.akca.org)

Comment

That was my thinking as well.

It may feel like jail......but, in to the 55 till no more cold.

One other question....what would be the best (easy, quick, cheap) way to keep my out side water a little warmer. I have an above ground waterbox, 8' x 3' x 3' with various goldfish in it.....they have all been doing well and growing. I insulated the sides of the box when I built it.

Is it best to turn off pump.....which pumps into a 37 gallon bog filter I built, then flows back into pond.......cover and aerate? I am using 450 watts total heat right now. It makes a difference.....still may drop to 40's since water volume is so small.

Fish are Comets, 5 to 12 inches; Orandas, 2 of them about 3 inches; Shubunkins, 5 or 6 inches. Both my Black Moors recently died.....too cold??

Here is a link to photos if needed.....couldn't upload tonight. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...96&aid=2068386

Comment

nice set up.

turn the waterfall off at night and when it gets cold, that is cooling your water. is there another filter on your set up? if so, make sure to continue water to it and return to pond underneath the water.

if you can move the air pump inside (cold outside air will cool your water as well).

aquatic eco has some higher wattage heaters that you can buy, of course it is not cheap to heat.

use a solar cover (most pool places have this) to help with the insulation as well. club members up here notice a 10 degree difference in temps.

good luck.
        Duc
        IKONA (www.koishack.com)
        No Showa Left Behind
        Proud Subscriber/Support of KOI USA, the official magazine of The AKCA (www.akca.org)

Comment

Thanks for the information. That box was just an experiment of mine.....learned everything to build it, filter and all reading online and sites like this. I have learned a lot this past year.

So far, I have been turning off the filter pump when it gets cold.....then just use the two heaters. I think one day the water was down to the upper 40's. Goldfish, of course, don't seem to care. They just take a nap.

Is there something similar to the solar screen I can start using without ordering it.......maybe something I can purchase at HD or other hardware store. Or, a local pool supply store?? I have to leave to go out of town by mid-week and would like to have it a little better prepared. Wife can take it off and start the pump back up when the cold is over.

**Guess what I found today........alll three Synodontis Eupterus I put in there many months ago (May, I think). I never even saw them during cleaning or water changes. When the weather started to cool, I looked for them and was going to bring them in for the winter. I could not find either of them so I thought they were gone.

They have grown and are active as of today. 4 inches or so each.....can't believe I did not see them before. They are like ghosts. Still alive even though the water has gotten down in the 40's........got some Mollies still in there too. They were born there and I was just going to take my chances.....so far so good. Also, a school of about 50 Zebra Danios. I only put in 5 or so.

Comment

most pool places will carry the solar screen, i think Lowes or HD will carry as well.

good luck.
            Duc
            IKONA (www.koishack.com)
            No Showa Left Behind

Comment

Working...
            X