Rcs vs ghost shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rcs vs ghost shrimp

Which one have you guys had better exsperience with. I've been buying ghost shrimp and they die for no reason I haven't tried red cherry shrimp yet so I want to know you guys experience
    Rcs
    90.00%
    Ghosties
    10.00%

What are you trying to keep them for?
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

If you want shrimp to keep the algae down, nothing but Amano Shrimp.

Red cherries are pretty to look at, but in my experience they don't clean algae near as well.

If you take is very small <10 gallons, go with cherries.

Never used Ghost shirmp, used to catch them in a lake by my house and don't think they really did anything but eat my food and dead fish.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Ghost shrimp aren't algae eaters. They eat detritus. Amanos are the best algae shrimp around. FG has the for like $3
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

idk but it sounds like somthing has to be really bad, we have amano, rcs and ghost in a 5 gallon with no problem, we even forgot to dechlorinate the water on the rcs and ghost one time and they made it.... by the way fish land had amano for 1.99 or 5 for 8.99

Comment

It's not for algae cleaning it's just I like both but I haven't had any luck with my ghost shrimps I've never had rcs I have a flower shrimp aka rock shrimp it's been doing fine but my ghosts have been dropping like flies

Comment

Ghost shrimp can be notoriously finicky and although stores manage to keep them well, it seems acclimating them to a long term aquarium can be tedious. I have also noticed they are not as long lived as other more commonly kept species. That being said, I have been successful in keeping them in very aged and planted tanks with a wide variety of differing foods offered. I have yet to see any breeding, but that does state it is not occurring. They do have some interesting colors under nice lights and seem to be very active and easy to spot.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

hi guys.
                i raise ghost shrimp to sale to lfs.
                mine are freshwater.
                brackish and salt water shrimp tend to be more finniky,and die more easily than the freshwater kind

Comment

How about native Glass Shrimp? They are similar to Ghost Shrimp, but are a little larger with longer claws with red banding on them.
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Where do I get them from other than catching them?

Comment

Originally posted by koi View Post
                      Where do I get them from other than catching them?

Here being sold as ghost shrimp, but the red banding is the distinction.
                      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

but they are soooo much fun to catch, especially in this weather, but seriously there will probably be several people going collecting this year as soon as the weather warms up.
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President
                        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I've been putting locally collected ghost shrimp into my tanks for over a year now. In my native tank they nor any other invertebrate lasts long. Sunfish voraciously eat them, large killies slowly swallow them and even darters and other small minnows will just peck at them until they die. On the other hand, my dwarf cichlids and dwarf puffers show no interest in them. I had a planted 10g with a couple GBRs and over a dozen shrimp that I left for a few days only to find the GBRs dead and an algae bloom on my return. After fishing them out I turned the light off on the aquarium and ignored it for a few weeks. Later I noticed a ton of small ghost shrimp in there. I only sporadically clean out dead plant matter, and I think that's what got them by.

FYI ghost shrimp are basically everywhere. I find them in subdivision ponds in Sugar Land.

Comment

Amano for algae control. RCS don't really take care of my algae problem in my 10gal so otto's and snails do their best to keep it down.
                            Ottos and snails for algae. That's my 2cents

Comment

Working...
                            X