Derasa Clam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derasa Clam

Got my first clam! I hope it does good, although when I put it in I set it down with the mouth (I think) facing away from the glass. I'm curious if I should just leave it or can I just pick it up and turn it around? Id like to be able to see its mouth. Idk if the foot has grabbed the peice of lr I buried for it yet and I don't want to damage the foot.
    20g mixed reef

You can turn it around if he's not attached. If he's attached, you'll have to dig up whatever it's attached to and turn both around.
    Gently try to lift him up. If he's attached, you'll know immediately. He'll close up and become rigidly stuck. Don't try to jiggle him out otherwise you'll tear tissue.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Well its been in there since Friday so I'm sure he's planted.
      20g mixed reef

Comment

I think you should leave it like it is for a while. It will continue to move it isn't happy.

Just wait and make sure it's attached. Then move the LR you have under it.

I jacked up a calm I had recent b/c I get bored and kept on moving it.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

good lookin clam, those derasas can get big.
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Yea I don't think I'm going to try and move it. The peice of live rock underneath it is probably 3" by 4" so it probably wouldn't be very easy.
            20g mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
              good lookin clam, those derasas can get big.
              Thanks, yea I'm currently working on a bigger tank. Probably be done with that in a few months, rebuilding the stand etc...
              20g mixed reef

Comment

nice clam! what kinda light do you have? The reason why i'm asking is because the mantle seems to be stretching. This could be due to low light. Also if the clam has not planted is foot yet, to do several checks for pyramid snails. The can eventually kill a clam, also make sure not to introduce another clam without checking the other clam for snails for a few weeks.

Comment

Thanks, I have a 36" wavepoint 4 bulb t5ho. I looked for pyramid snails before I put it in and didn't see any.
                  20g mixed reef

Comment

Here's some recent pictures of the clam now, roughly 3 months later.
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

Working...
                    X