Water Changes / Water Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Changes / Water Level

I currently have a 100G FOWLER tank but am trying to add enough live rock over time to eventually convert into a reef tank. I have a question about how high in the aquarium you can have soft corals or anenomes. I have seen pictures of reef aquariums with soft corals/anenomes pretty close to the surface and was wondering what happens when you do a water change 15-20% and the water level drops quite a bit. I assume you cant have these guys out of the water for very long.

You should be fine during a water change. Remember a lot of corals grow close to the top in the wild and when there is low tide they become exposed for a little while. Just make sure they stay moist.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

makes sense - thanks

Comment

i dunno about soft corals and anemones. Its usually sps that are exposed to air. It really depends on the coral... some are ok with exposure to air... some are very sensitive.

Most of the time softies and anemones are mid level or towards the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Softies can be exposed to air for a while, just turn the lights off while you're doing your water change so they don't dry out too quick.
          75 planted (Being Renovated)
          Endlers
          gobies
          lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
          X