Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about starting a salt tank and need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about starting a salt tank and need advice...

I am thinking about starting another salt tank but what as much advice on equipment and prep as possible before i jump in again. The first one i had i rushed and it failed. I've learned a lot about tanks since then, mainly fresh though. I have a 26g bf That I would most likely use. I know its on the smaller size but not much I can do about that right now. I did not have coral before, but would like some this time. Here are some of my questions for now...

What is the best filter for a reef?

What is a really good skimmer that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

Are sterilizers a must have?

Is RO water a must have for a reef tank?

What about a fuge, are the must have and what are the positives of having one?

How many fish/corals could be kept in a 26g?

What are things that you must have for corals?

What is the average price for upkeep of a reef tank?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
    29g Fire Belly Toad
    • Hippity
    • Hoppity
    • Fatty
    • Pip
    • Skitz
    20g Long
    Fully planted with fish

What is the best filter for a reef? Live rocks. Best is to have a fuge set up with LR, LS, and macros to help filter the water. Not mandatory, I have a 28G with just the overflow sump with LR rubble, carbon bag, and purigen. More total water volume the better.

What is a really good skimmer that wont cost me an arm and a leg? Not mandatory to have a skimmer depends on what you are stocking the tank with. I do not have a skimmer on my nano but it just means you have to stay on-top of nutrient levels and making sure you do more regular WC.

Are sterilizers a must have? No

Is RO water a must have for a reef tank? Some will say no, but I say yes. It reduces the chance of crashing the tank and algae outbreaks because tap water has all kinds of chemicals in it.

What about a fuge, are the must have and what are the positives of having one? See above, positives is it increases total water volume which lessens a dramatic impact from changes also you can add more LR and macros to filter the water.

How many fish/corals could be kept in a 26g? This depends on how much you want to keep up with WC, nutrients, feeding, and so on. I currently keep SPS, LPS, zoas, and softies in mine. Along with 2 clowns, 2 firefish, 1 lawnmower blenny (I call Trung), 2 cleaner shrimp, and 1 6 line wrasse.

What are things that you must have for corals? What kind of corals do you want? SPS needs lots of calc, alk, mg, light, and clean water. LPS needs less of those but supplement with some feedings. Zoas are the easiest of them all.

What is the average price for upkeep of a reef tank? If I werent always buying crap to upgrade and add new corals I would estimate my expense excluding electricity to cost me about $10 a month for my size tank. All I am paying for is food, water, and supplements. Now with that in mind most of these things are upfront cost that will last you a while. Like I just bought Calc, Alk, Mg supplements for about $60 but it should last me nearly a year.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Ok, so if i were to get a skimmer it would actually cause more work in the long run? I am thinking brightly colored easy corals, any suggestions? In cycling a reef tank does is there something you need to do besides what you would do with a fresh? How far apart can you add corals? When would be a good time to start adding corals? Would this be a good filter? http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=19310 For a 26g how much live rock is needed? I am thinking 50lbs. Is that enough? I want to have as much knowledge as possible before i decided to do this because i can't waste money atm and want to do everthing in my power to set everything up right and now have it crash and burn.
      29g Fire Belly Toad
      • Hippity
      • Hoppity
      • Fatty
      • Pip
      • Skitz
      20g Long
      Fully planted with fish

Comment

Originally posted by xxPinkFlamingo View Post
        What is the best filter for a reef?
        Sump and a big skimmer.

What is a really good skimmer that wont cost me an arm and a leg?
        Depends on the size of your tank and how much your arm and leg is worth.

Are sterilizers a must have?
        No.

Is RO water a must have for a reef tank?
        Yes.

What about a fuge, are the must have and what are the positives of having one?
        Not a must have but a good and proven method of nutrient export.

How many fish/corals could be kept in a 26g?
        Fish = depends, corals = as much as you can stuff in it.

What are things that you must have for corals?
        Good water conditions.

What is the average price for upkeep of a reef tank?
        I try not to think about it....it makes me sad. It really depends on you.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
        Read, read, and then read some more.

Take it show b/c god didn't make a reef tank overnight.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ok, so if i were to get a skimmer it would actually cause more work in the long run?

No, why would you think that?

I am thinking brightly colored easy corals, any suggestions?

most corals are colorful. In generally, there are 4 categorizes....
          1) softies (zoas and mushrooms)
          2) LPS corals
          3) SPS corals
          4) NPS corals

In cycling a reef tank does is there something you need to do besides what you would do with a fresh?
          Basically, the same concept.

How far apart can you add corals?
          Depends on the corals. With softies and LPS you can add them decently fast. It's common practice for me to add a coral once a week.

When would be a good time to start adding corals?
          Anytime after the tank has cycled. Normally in 4 weeks.

Would this be a good filter? http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=19310
          Doable. But a sump would be better.

For a 26g how much live rock is needed? I am thinking 50lbs. Is that enough?
          That should be more than enough. I think the tend lately is to go for less with a minimalist look.

I want to have as much knowledge as possible before i decided to do this because i can't waste money atm and want to do everthing in my power to set everything up right and now have it crash and burn.
          read over the sticky threads in each of the SW section here on this site.

Good luck and keep posting questions. You are on the right path.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Mmmmk I think i understand a little better. So if i had a sump i would not need an actual filter because the sump would act as a filter? Also, what size sump is right for a 26g bowfront? Is a hang on sump going to work? Not sure where i would stick a different type. I was trying to figure out how to make a diy fuge but don't understand how i would set up the pluming or how i would make it work. What is the best skimmer under say $175?
            29g Fire Belly Toad
            • Hippity
            • Hoppity
            • Fatty
            • Pip
            • Skitz
            20g Long
            Fully planted with fish

Comment

That's messed up Brian haha.

Comment

Mmmmk I think i understand a little better. So if i had a sump i would not need an actual filter because the sump would act as a filter?

The sump is the filter....yes. You should now, that a reef tank does not "need" a filter. All you need is live rock and a power head. Everything else is a plus. Sumps are the best, IMHO, because there is room to added a fuge, skimmer, and reactors if you need.

Also, what size sump is right for a 26g bowfront?
                Bigger the better. You want room to work with and water volume. So go with the biggest you can fit under your tank.

Is a hang on sump going to work?
                yeah, that should be fine. Same concept.

Not sure where i would stick a different type. I was trying to figure out how to make a diy fuge but don't understand how i would set up the pluming or how i would make it work.
                Google "overflow box". That should help. In short, the overflow box skims water off the top and allows it to go into the sump. Then a return pump in the sump pushes water back into the DT (display tank).

What is the best skimmer under say $175?
                Skimmer at that price:

new: tunze 9002 skimmer or bubble magus nac3.5
                used: bigger the better.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Heres something a little easier for you don't wanna deal with overflow boxes and trying to find a sump for a 26 bowfront. The space below your tank is going to be very limited. So perhaps a hob option is better. This is a hob fuge with a skimmer built in. Skimmer is a bit noisy, you can just get the fuge without built in skimmer

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
                    That's messed up Brian haha.
                    Haha so you caught it. Payback for the Juan the lawnmower.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                      Haha so you caught it. Payback for the Juan the lawnmower.
                      what did i miss?
                      29g Fire Belly Toad
                      • Hippity
                      • Hoppity
                      • Fatty
                      • Pip
                      • Skitz
                      20g Long
                      Fully planted with fish

Comment

I made a joke a while back about that fish. I said something like....

Is it wrong to name my lawnmower blenny Juan? Apparently ... yes lol. But its ok, imma name my engineer goby Trung.

Comment

oooooh ok
                          29g Fire Belly Toad
                          • Hippity
                          • Hoppity
                          • Fatty
                          • Pip
                          • Skitz
                          20g Long
                          Fully planted with fish

Comment

haha sorry to hijack your thread. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

do you have an idea of what you plan on stocking the tank with? The more you stock, the more headache. So i would suggest taking it slow. Don't throw anemones and a ton of fish in there from day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
                              haha sorry to hijack your thread. Don't throw anemones and a ton of fish in there from day 1.
                              lol its ok :) I learned my lesson about overstocking with my first salt tank. It was the worst disaster and waste of money ever. I'm trying to decide if i really can afford the reef tank but there is so much math involved my brain hurts :)
                              29g Fire Belly Toad
                              • Hippity
                              • Hoppity
                              • Fatty
                              • Pip
                              • Skitz
                              20g Long
                              Fully planted with fish

Comment

Working...
                              X