Puffer Penthouse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer Penthouse!

So, I recently bought a 540 gallon acrylic aquarium for my mbu puffer! I am very excited about the aquarium and setting it up. He is about 14 inches and I think he needs an upgrade to his current home. I am going to start fixing the stand and preparing for the huge task of setting up this monster in the weeks to come. Also, I will take a picture of my project as I work through it! :) very very excited!
    Merritt Adkins
    Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
    Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
    The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

So you are the one who walked away with that Tenecor 540? Nice pick up! Keep us posted
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

your PUFFER wil be so proud of YOU... he will be the envie of all puffers in the US... good luck on your set up...

Comment

540 gallons WOW. Your puffer might grow to 2 foot.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Okay guys, haven't posted in awhile but I am working on the system. Got the stand for the tank primed and ready to be painted and I am going to start reinforcing the floor of the house to help support the 4,000 + lbs that will make up the entire system. I am looking to have a 100 gallon sump with wet dry filter, vegie filter and two canister filters to help support my mbu. Will post pics of the stand and aquarium soon! :)
          Merritt Adkins

Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
          The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

????????.....no updates on this project????????

Comment

Update

Okay, finally had some time to post an update on the 540 build. In the attachments the first picture is of the grinder I used to take off all the old paint on the stand. It is pretty mean to use and hurts when you get yourself.

The second picture is of the primer I used for the stand. Just some rustoleum that I bought from Lowe's for around $12 to $15.

The third picture shows the difference between grinded metal and the painted part. The left side is clearly the side I have grinded.

The fourth picture is the stand completed with 2 coats of primer on it. The stand actually weighs more than the aquarium does.

The fifth picture is of the equipment I used to help re-enforce the floor of my apartment. I have cement blocks, tin, measuring tape and I also used some left over 2 x 2's and cedar shivs to help get the support right up to the floor.

The sixth picture is of me, under the house.

The seventh is showing the small amount of space that I have to work in. It sucked but is worth it for the final outcome.

I plan on ordering some Weld-On 42 on Monday to start working on the tank to get it ready for water. I am also looking for a 125 gallon tank to convert into the sump for this huge system.

Will be posting soon again! I promise!!
              Attached Files
              Merritt Adkins

Comment

The stand looks nice...cant wait to see it finished! I dont know why but when i look at the pic with the tin and blocks it only shows the top half. Are you doing this all by yourself? Every time i do a project i have lots of fun and hope you are too.
                Forget the dog.
                Beware of fish!
                :ertrink:

Comment

So I am still working on this tank just had to clear out all my saltwater stuff to make room for it. I am having the stand re-enforced to help support the load and take some weight off the four legs. I am still messing with the floor of the apartment trying to get it re-enforced too. I haven't ordered any Weld-On for the acrylic tank yet but I will be soon. I was thinking about buying Weld-On 40 and 20 from some recommendations that I got. Does anyone else have any experience with re-sealing acrylic tanks?
                  Merritt Adkins

Comment

If you have some time, I would check out Reef Central's forums, and a thread title " Acrylic fabrication questions? I can help!" There are some very experienced fabricators on that thread and they can answer just about any question you have regarding repairing an acrylic tank.

HTH,
                    Bridget

Comment

The primer looks good! But I must say I like the nail polish also! Ha HA HA Holy Moly 540 now thats some water!!!!

FF

Comment

Well, since I didn't have anyone interested in the tank and no one could take the puffer (not too sad about that) I am going to try to continue setting up this monster of a tank. I just finished cleaning it out today and will be moving it to the porch hopefully today too. I am not going to lie, the tank will not look awesome at all, but it will be setup and then I can work on it looking awesome. wish me luck... :)
                        Merritt Adkins

Comment

Update:

So today I have cleaned the tank again, and I am pressure airing out all the seams cause I plan on re-sealing the tank today. I need to make sure the monster holds water before putting time into setting it up.
                          The cost so far:
                          Weld On 42 - 98.95
                          Stand Pipes - 40
                          Re-enforced stand - 250
                          Stand painted - 50
                          FX5 used - 160

This is what I have gotten done so far for the tank. I still need to get lids for the tank (about 300) and I wanted to order a background for it from Designs by nature (400).

Pictures that are attached is what I have accomplished today. I will put up more once I start re-sealing it.

P8130182.JPG

P8130180.JPG

P8130003.JPG

P8130002.jpg

downsized_0806011941.jpg
                          Merritt Adkins

Comment

So, I have the tank up and running, but it kinda sucks since I am moving. :( I will try to post a picture of it, but be aware that I have no decorations in it currently.
                            Merritt Adkins

Comment

The tank is going with you correct? Are you staying in the area? How is your puffer doing?
                              5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                              20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                              29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                              29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                              29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                              55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                              75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Working...
                              X