Thermometer necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer necessary?

Hello. I am new to saltwater aquariums and want to know if a heater is necessary. I have read that temperatures between 75 and 79 are fine and so far my aquarium has stayed in this range but the temp does drop to 75.2 degrees by morning and by end of the day with lights on is up to about 78 degrees. So far I havent read anything about whether fluctuations within a day of 3-4 degrees is ok or if a heater is needed to keep the range tighter.

I have a 100 Gal FOWLER with wet/dry filter/sump below (plastic). If a heater is needed I wanted to put it in the sump . right now the sump has the pump in it and later will have a protein skimmer. any suggestions on how to place a heater in the sump - I was concerned about it melting the plastic.

Thank you for any advice

im confused, are you asking if a thermometer is needed or if a heater is needed?

both IMO. It doesn't hurt to add a heater and thermo. Theres still 2 more months of winter, it can still get pretty cold. Its safer for your tank to keep a steady temperature. Less stress on your fish. The heater should have plastic suction cups, this should help keep it from touching the sump. Also you could get two small heaters instead of one big one. It'll help.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
      im confused, are you asking if a thermometer is needed or if a heater is needed?

both IMO. It doesn't hurt to add a heater and thermo. Theres still 2 more months of winter, it can still get pretty cold. Its safer for your tank to keep a steady temperature. Less stress on your fish. The heater should have plastic suction cups, this should help keep it from touching the sump. Also you could get two small heaters instead of one big one. It'll help.
      Ditto.

Comment

Sorry about that - I meant heater but wrote thermometer. Anyway, your answer makes sense - I hadnt considered 2 smaller heaters which might be easier to fit in. Thank you

Comment

If you have a return pump for your sump and are short on sump space, you can try an in-line heater that you attach to your return.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

article that may be of interest.

Comment

Great article - thank you. i like the idea of some redundancy with several smaller heaters. thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X