Discus Aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus Aggression

Are there techniques to reduce discus aggression? I've got one that picks a fight with everybody. 5 good sized discus and 1 tiny one in a 75g with lots of driftwood. I think it is the biggest one that is the bully. If he isn't the biggest then he is the next biggest.
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

add a lot of tetras to break up things.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Even adding dither fish may not help. A school of discus has a pecking order, worked out by the members of the school. The dominant is usually the biggest male. Once the others recognize that, the aggression will often diminish to occasional reminders of who's boss at feeding time. Sometimes however, one of the school is just a bully. In those cases, if it's so bad that the others aren't getting enough to eat and the harrassment won't stop, the bully has to be removed from the school.

Mark
      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I talked to the previous owner last night and the bully had been breeding with one of the others. I haven't seen any eggs but I guess that explains it.
        135 gal Fahaka Puffer
        150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
        185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

more discus spreads out aggression.. also more tank space.. 18" deep works much better then 12".. some of my smallest discus were the biggest bullys.. so its not just about size..

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
          N.A.D.A Facebook
          Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Working...
          X