X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent discus pics

I took some new pics of the discus the other day and wanted to share:

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Geez Mark. Those fish are amazing.
    If it ain't wild caught
    You ain't doing it right

Comment

some great looking discus you got there mark :emt_thumbs:
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Nice!
        Gotta love em RSGs
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Great fish .....you are living the dream. How big is the tank, and what are you filtering it with ??

Comment

Guess I missed this the other day, but those are great looking fish Mark
            120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
            180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

how many do you have???
              250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Originally posted by grillermichael View Post
                Great fish .....you are living the dream. How big is the tank, and what are you filtering it with ??
                The tank is a 125 gal, Mike. I'm running two Eheim 2217s on it.

Originally posted by newb View Post
                how many do you have???
                Four left from the original six, Randall. One died inexplicably a couple weeks after I got her and one jumped out one night and I found him on the floor the next mornin'. I'm trying to find 2 or three more this winter after Christmas.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

So Wesley, a question. As initially planned, I thougtht about going big w/space I have in the garage. As I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a tank or two (looking a used 180 and a 200), I started to get somewhat squimish about going after that. In looking at the house/ current family dynamic, I might be able to get a 55 long set up somewhere inside (probably a kid's bedroom). The question is, do you think with 4-5 water changes per week (30 - 50%) good feeding, good filtration, etc that one could get 6 discus to full size in a tank that size ??

Comment

Those sure are some perty fish Mark.

GM, if you can spare the extra six inches of depth, I would suggest going with a 75 or even a 90. They are still 4 foot tanks but a little deeper (18" vs. 12") and the 90 is 24" tall instead of 20".
                    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
                    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
                    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Originally posted by grillermichael View Post
                      So Wesley, a question. As initially planned, I thougtht about going big w/space I have in the garage. As I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a tank or two (looking a used 180 and a 200), I started to get somewhat squimish about going after that. In looking at the house/ current family dynamic, I might be able to get a 55 long set up somewhere inside (probably a kid's bedroom). The question is, do you think with 4-5 water changes per week (30 - 50%) good feeding, good filtration, etc that one could get 6 discus to full size in a tank that size ??
                      I'd go with Beefy's suggestion on this Mike. Putting 5 or 6 discus in a 55 is gonna be a tough road, IMO. A 75 or even better, a 90, would be the shizznizzle. As beefy pointed out, same length but a little thicker across the middle and the needed extra volume.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Great looking fish!

Great looking bird cage, too! ) (Matsi's jealous - she misses her mansion.)
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Beef and Mark --- if I can get into a 75, how many discus can we get away with ?? Remember, at least for the grow out period, nothing else in the tank , all bare, well filtered, on average 40% water changes every other day , lots of bloodworms, shrimp --- the works.

What say you ??

Comment

Beautiful RSG.

GM. It depends on starting size. Juvies you can go with 10+ or so but you need to do more WC then you listed otherwise you run the risk of stunting them. If you go with adults I personally wouldnt do more than 6 with what you mentioned. And then add more once you have made sure it can handle it.
                            Resident fish bum
                            330G FOWLR
                            34G Reef
                            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                              Beautiful RSG.

GM. It depends on starting size. Juvies you can go with 10+ or so but you need to do more WC then you listed otherwise you run the risk of stunting them. If you go with adults I personally wouldnt do more than 6 with what you mentioned. And then add more once you have made sure it can handle it.
                              Yup, I agree.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X