question about protien skimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about protien skimmer

i have been running a wet dry system under my reef tank for a while now and every one i talk to about it said do away with the wet dry and get a refugium so I am. I got a 29 gallon tank and built some baffles in it. the first baffle near the filter sock is sectioning off the area where i want to put my protien skimmer and i built it 14 inches high. problem is i have a marineland 100 in sump which works great in 4-6 inches of water but doesn't seem to be possible to use in 14 inches of water. so my question is does any body know of an in sump protien skimmer that will work in that depth or am I gonna have to start altering my sump. i know i can raise the skimmer up and make it work but without building a taller stand there is no room and there is also no room for an external skimmer do the the small space i have to deal with.
    Attached Files

how much space do you have horizontally. You could get an external skimmer or a hang on back skimmer

Comment

skimmer

I think it is actually easier to find skimmer to work in deeper water than shallower. Many skimmers require at least 10 in of water or more.

I have an Reef Octopus with needle-wheel that runs in 11 in of water and I would love to raise the water level by 2,3 inches except my sump is not high enough.

Comment

good to know

Comment

I would add another baffle after the filter sock so that you can control the water level to match the skimmer requirements. Another skimmer might be easier, but far more costly. Either way, your probably going to have to take the refugium out and build what you need or place a new skimmer in.
          And 2+ on the reef octopus. i have one of those on my 38gal and it is by far the best skimmer I've had and I got it on sale for $150. In fact I'm in the process of building a stand for my 72bowfront and am probably going to buy another Octopus skimmer because it is so good.
          Softie Reef

Comment

i ended up just building my stand taller and building a shelf for the skimmer to sit on so i wouldn't have to spend any money
            Attached Files

Comment

You want to skim more than some weak tea. This is my collection cup:

Comment

Now that's some skimmate right there!

How many days of skimming is that?
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I don't know exactly but it's more than a month. I just know I don't clean out it out very often.

Comment

O wow, a whole month. You must have a light bioload.

I've seen skimmers pull that in 4-5 days.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

the weak tea was only the first few minutes i hadn't adjusted at that point im now emptying my collection cup weekly from dark green crap
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Once a week for that much skimmate is good.

Whatca feeding your fish and corals?

How many fishes you got?
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I FEED MY FISH NUTRAFIN MAX PELLETS and i use calcium iodine stronium phytoplankton coralvite but i dont add those things to the water near as often as recomended because I forget a lot. a friend of mine feeds her corals and fish little brine shrimp frozen i guess not the dried kind and she recomended i do the same but I have no idea where to get that stuff. i have 4 damsels 2 clowns 1 fox face 1 sailfin tang 1 diamond goby and a handfull of snails and hermits
                          Last edited by stephen; 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

consider dosing alkalinity as well. Im not sure why everyone doses calcium but no one ever doses alk. I wouldn't worry about dosing iodine or strontium.

frozen brine shrimp can be bought at pretty much any LFS

Comment

i have the chemical for alk but i wasn't sure what it was for or if i even needed it. is that something i can just count on needing or is there a test i should use to find out if i need it

Comment

Working...
                              X