beware of dyed corals and inverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beware of dyed corals and inverts

I recently bought a carpet anenome that has been dyed yellow. I did'nt know it has been dyed when I purchased him. It appears healthy for now. I am going to stuff him silly and hope for the best unless anyone here has a better idea. Here is some info on dyed corals http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dyedcorals.htm
    Professional Nitrate Brewer

Yeah this is a dirty practice, much like dying or tatooing fish. Talk to your manager at the stores you go to. Some with sell them, others absolutely wont. Know you're reputable stores.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

Comment

The anemone is being hosted by a clownfish named Meno. My daughter trys to say nemo but meno comes out which fits perfect caus he is a mean lil booger. Do you guys think Meno could be adding stress or would the anemone be calmed by being hosted? Sometimes I see Meno stuffing the anemone with food and im guessing he is just trying to save the food for later? Other times he takes the food away and spits it out away from the anemone like he is cleaning it. Should I seperate these guys until the anemone recovers or leave them be?

Comment

no offense but how do you know its dyed? Carpet anemones do come in awesome colors. Ive seen yellow, and blue and multicolor carpet anemones before. Generally if an anemone has been dyed, its usually a death sentence. It will not live very long. Dyed corals can slowly revert back to original colors.

Now if it was a condy or some other type of anemone thats bright yellow... i would be wary.

Here is a link to some awesome looking different anemones. All natural colored.

Comment

I read somewhere that there was no such thing as a yellow carpet anenome. I have a bad habit of believing everything I read lol. I bet you are right soy. This guy is probably a natural yellow. I will do some more research on this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by trophicide View Post
            I read somewhere that there was no such thing as a yellow carpet anenome. I have a bad habit of believing everything I read lol. I bet you are right soy. This guy is probably a natural yellow. I will do some more research on this guy.
            It was in the link you posted: "Like carpet anemones (Stichodactyla sp.), sebae anemones are naturally brown or green colored (other rare colors too, but NO yellow)."

Good luck with your research! Truth on the internet is like corn in a turd, its there but getting to it isn't always pleasant.
            135 gal Fahaka Puffer
            150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
            185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

check your skimmate if it has food coloring in it u have dyes in the corals

Comment

Working...
              X