Catching Ghost Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Ghost Shrimp

I have found ghost shrimp for years and was asked about collecting them, here are my tricks, though I'm sure many can add to this.

I have always found them in mixed aquatic vegetation, even roots and submersed vegetation and detritus. They are somewhat smaller then most other creatures, make certain you have a very fine net to avoid them slipping through. As I pull the net up, watch for any jumping movement as they are translucent. Generally if you see one, there are many more mixed into the debris at the bottom of the net. Try to rewet the net every minute or so, they are somewhat fragile and can die easily. Try to pick them up by their antennae, I have always found this easier. They are found in nearly every drainage ditch and small creek I have ever come across and after 20 minutes work I have a sizable collection in a mason jar or bucket. Keep them in the water they were found in and acclimate them slowly to prevent shock especially by temperature.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

How about quarantining it?

Comment

Quarantine would certainly be something I'd do, especially if you have other shrimp in the tank. There are a lot of other little 'critters' that are mixed in the debris and it can become a who's who of bad add ins to a tank. I have found fish lice, anchor worms, Gammarus, water scorpions, leeches, and quite a few others when I have caught them. I have never seen them attack the shrimp, but any fish in the tank would likely be.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

SO just run your next through the edge of the water?

Comment

I have the best luck very near to the shoreline amongst dense vegetation
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

About how many does it take to get a good colony started?

Comment

I'd say that a few dozen should suffice, some people do have issues getting them established. Once mine had started breeding they will quickly cover all the available room in the tank.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

So Ghost shrimp are pretty easy to breed? Thinking about starting a tank just for them.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                X