No announcement yet.

Live Plants in a brackish system, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Plants in a brackish system, Help!

I have had my brackish tank for about 4 months now. its a 40gal with a 50gal filter. I keep 2 puffers 2 archers and 3 bumblebee gobies. The fish are healthy and the tank is nice with the plastic plants and driftwood I have but I really love live plants. I did a little research and came up with java moss, java fern, anubias and vallisneria as good candidates to avoid predation and absorbing salt. I bought a few of each in an attempt to plant my tank and within a week they were all dead or dying (except the anubias). the vallisneria actually did very well until my puffers started aquascaping my tank and clipped them all at the base...partially.
    The anubias was fine until, you guessed it, the puffers started clipping the leaves at which point they started to die. anyone have any ideas? My java moss seems to be doing okay but everything else doesnt seem to work. My SG is at 1.010 if anyone has any input id love it.

The only thing i have ever had any luck with in brackish systems is java moss.
    Unfortunately they tend to be not so pretty.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

You might try Hornwort

I sometimes catch natives in a brackish lake in Louisiana and there is always an abundance of Hornwort floating there. I've never tested the salt content but it is tidal and has blue crabs along with whatever else. the downside might be that hornwort doesn't seem to stay rooted but thrives floating, and would need to be sanitized for whatever bugs it might have on board. I'll probably go tomorrow and get some more for someone else so if you want, let me know. I can get a bucket full very easily.
      Have Net Will Travel

Comment

The plants you are trying will potentially work, but you will need to acclimate them over. Put them in a bucket fresh water (with light getting to it), give them about a week or 2, adding a little salt each day. Take them out from time to time and watch for healthy growth.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
        X