Yellow Lab Holding - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Lab Holding - HELP

I just noticed yesterday that I have a yellow lab holding. I have been so busy I have no idea how LONG she has been holding - I just know she looks miserable. So I have no idea at this point what to do - leave her in home tank to spit, try to trap and move her into a separate tank to spit without causing her to lose the fry, or try to learn to strip her in a net, leave her in home tank and just move the fry to separate tank. Obviously I have never done this - but I really don't want to lose ANY of these fry. From what I've read, sounds like she could use the recoup time also. I took these pics last night, today her cheeks are even puffier!

IMG_2878r.jpg IMG_2854.jpg
    Thanks so much,
    Lydia
    409-499-1279

If you don't want to lose any fry, I'd suggest either learning to strip or to move her into her own tank and let her relase the fry/recoup in a stress free environment.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Yeah, she looks like she's about ready. It's not that difficult to strip her. But I only recommend stripping if you think she's in too much stress. Under normal circumstances she'll be fine if you let her do her thing. However, if you are planning to keep the fry you have to move her to a different tank and based on these pic she'll most likely drop them when you try to catch her. I suggest, do it very, very slowly. Try not to chase her back and forth in the tank but take your time. It helps if you use two nets.

As far as she's concerned, definitely give her time to recoup. I've lost a few of my mommas before I learned that they need some quiet time. I've been breeding yellow labs for a while now and I've done quite a bit of reading on the right time frame to keep her separated and I can tell you it doesn't exist. Each fish is different. Give her at least 10 days and then start watching her. If she comes out readily when you walk into the room to feed her, eats well, and doesn't hide every time something moves in the room, she's ready. Yellow labs also like to "dig" when they are bored. So, when she starts moving pebbles/sand, you know she's gained her energy back.

Comment

Thanks to both of you I am going to do some more research today, and plan to move her tonight. Have either one of you put "safehouse" type things in the tank for fry to get in where the other fish can't get to them? I saw them online and wondered if the fish would actually use it. Thought it would be prudent to make one for each tank and hide behind rock, etc. just as a backup - thoughts ???
        Thanks so much,
        Lydia
        409-499-1279

Comment

Congrats.....smiles.

Name a wee little one after me.....

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thank you CF.............oh this is getting to be SO much fun.........upon further inspection of all my tanks, it appears that in addition to my lemon yellow, I also have an electric blue, sunshine peacock, and ice blue zebra holding. Oh my gosh - I think I am going to build a hatchery and grow out tanks in my garage - starting tonight. I'm a little overwhelmed but feel like such a good mama - I must be making them happy! I've had lots of convicts and zebras, but left them all in their home tanks cuz I was too busy with house repairs after hurricane.........and lots survived. So this is a new venture!
            Thanks so much,
            Lydia
            409-499-1279

Comment

Congrats! Seems like you'll be busy.

Those "safehouse" things don't really work in the main tank in my experience. If you can, try to move to a seperate tank and let her spit. Good luck!
              300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Originally posted by tbui1178 View Post
                Congrats! Seems like you'll be busy.

Those "safehouse" things don't really work in the main tank in my experience. If you can, try to move to a seperate tank and let her spit. Good luck!
                Thanks so much!
                Thanks so much,
                Lydia
                409-499-1279

Comment

Working...
                X