Breeding Cichlid HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Cichlid HELP!!!

is it possible to breed a female jack dempsy and a male green terror? i have a breeding tank that im setting up? any one know the temp and what kinda gravel or sand to use? wh at kinda decorations? food? if not possible what kinda cichlids are easy to breed? thank you for your help

Convicts are easy to breed.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

IMO, most common cichlids are easy to breed. Keep the water conditions good and consistent with consistent feeding.. and you are good to go.
      300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

First of all...am I the only one that thinks breeding a jack and a terror is wrong? Why would you wanna do that? If they breed, the offspring will end up for sale and those hybrids will end up makin more hybrids until they turn into another blood parrot epidemic. Please don't mix breed any fish...ever.
        If it ain't wild caught
        You ain't doing it right

Comment

blood parrots are one of the most wanted cichlids. blood parrots cant reproduce either.

Comment

Some easy fish to breed: Neolamprologus Brichardi...Labidochromis Caeruleus...or Hemichromis Bimaculatus. All of these guys will breed like rabbits for you
            If it ain't wild caught
            You ain't doing it right

Comment

Make sure you do regular partial water changes.
              210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
              125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

I'm with Rex on this one.......don't mix breed fish species .

Comment

Also, in my experience, the dempsey and the terror probably wouldn't breed together. I've heard of stranger, but for the most part these two aren't particularly famous for breeding with other species. If you are absolutely set on trying to make hybrids then what I would stock in the tank would be a convict, red devil, texas or jag. most of the hybrids I've seen in my day were made from these species. oh, throw in a female blood parrot. It's supposedly the males only that are sterile, but I have read about reports of fertile males (supposedly through hormone injections when young.)
                  ‎Haiku's are easy
                  But sometimes they don't make sense
                  Refrigerator

Comment

Originally posted by mattr View Post
                    blood parrots are one of the most wanted cichlids. blood parrots cant reproduce either.
                    They are sought out (generally) by ignorant fish keepers...not true hobbyists. They are a man-made fish and in my opinion, a plague on the hobby. I know you are new here so you may be unaware of the problems they cause and how cruel it is to keep producing them. Read up on how mix breeding causes mutations that ultimately lead to slow painful deaths for these fish. Plus, a lot of us pride ourselves in keeping the hobby pure...you don't wanna be the guy that messes that up...
                    If it ain't wild caught
                    You ain't doing it right

Comment

thats just like saying you only get pure breed dogs. mine were 7 when i got them and ive had them for over 3 years now. my MBU died at 8. so the lifeexpectancy is not an argue. there is no parrot epedemic. they cant reproduce. so what im going to do is let them breed for about 3 years then drop them in the san jacinto river once they are big. or maybe test tube parrots
                      Last edited by mattr; 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattr View Post
                        there is no parrot epedemic. they cant reproduce. so what im going to do is let them breed for about 3 years then drop them in the san jacinto river once they are big. or maybe test tube parrots
                        that is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. You're going to dump an invasive species into our water ways so they can breed and destroy an ecosystem? It's outrageous. I really wish people like you would quit keeping fish. News flash: female parrots can breed. If you are deliberately trying to push buttons with us...its not cool. Where the hell is Charles when you need him????
                        If it ain't wild caught
                        You ain't doing it right

Comment

you really think that since the beginning of time there were over 3000 species of cichlids? most are hybrids of some sort. and if you want to talk about keeping fish did you know that frontosas are a pelagic fish? and they live atleast 30-50 meters underwater and then people like you put them in 3 feet of water. people like me at changing things for the good and you torture you fish. not me
                          Last edited by mattr; 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

take a look at my tank and then tell me I torture my fish. I guarantee you that you aren't on my level in this hobby. It's obvious from your last response about hybrids and Frontosas that you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Enjoy your little boy fish tank and do whatever you wanna do with your boring, amateur fish.
                            If you wanna see how the pros do it, come to the GHAC meeting this Saturday. Maybe then you'll learn to respect the hobby.
                            If it ain't wild caught
                            You ain't doing it right

Comment

people!!..people!!....bloodparrots are not hybrids!!!...all they are basically is deformed red devils or midas!!!....
                              HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X