Feeder Tank Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeder Tank Finds

I was allowed to go fishing in the feeder tanks yesterday at FG. Thanks again, Vanson!!

Just wanted to share my 4 new fish. :biggrin:

Fundulus species (I'm thinking either F. similis or F. seminolis)

In NLS bucket, acclimating:

In QT, with darter:

Still a bit nervous around me:

Some species of darter, haven't figured this one out yet:

Madtom (Notorus sp., also haven't figured it out yet, but I know tadpole madtoms are pretty common...):

Hiding behind sponge filter (as always):

I was looking for Lucania goodei, which I didn't find, but I think I came home with a pretty cool catch!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Those are indeed fundulus similis, or longnose killifish. They are common in the marshes along the coast. Watch out, because they are VERY HIGH ENERGY.
    Your madtom is either a tadpole madtom (Noturus gyrinus) or a freckled madtom (Noturus nocturnus). Here is the quote from my book (Freshwater Fishes of Texas, by Thomas, Banner, & Whiteside, "The tadpole madtom can be distinguished from the freckled madtom by the upper and lower jaws being equal to each other and by its having a thin, dark, mid-lateral line". I have been looking for either of these for a little while now. They need a semi-sandy bottom because they like to dig and they don't have scales for protection. They also like caves to hide in. You probably will never see them.
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

Comment

MB, you like the weirdest fish
      250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Originally posted by Sea-agg09 View Post
        Those are indeed fundulus similis, or longnose killifish. They are common in the marshes along the coast. Watch out, because they are VERY HIGH ENERGY.
        Your madtom is either a tadpole madtom (Noturus gyrinus) or a freckled madtom (Noturus nocturnus). Here is the quote from my book (Freshwater Fishes of Texas, by Thomas, Banner, & Whiteside, "The tadpole madtom can be distinguished from the freckled madtom by the upper and lower jaws being equal to each other and by its having a thin, dark, mid-lateral line". I have been looking for either of these for a little while now. They need a semi-sandy bottom because they like to dig and they don't have scales for protection. They also like caves to hide in. You probably will never see them.
        Thanks! Those are the two madtoms I initially looked at, but just haven't spent the time to actually sit down with my books and figure it out. But thanks for the ID on the kilies! Much appreciated.

The madtom will be going into my 40g native tank, eventually, as will the other three. But I'm insanely adamant that they go through at least a 30-day quarantine when they come from either the wild or from feeder tanks. (Actually, ANY new fish I get goes through the 30-day QT.) Anyways, the 40g has tons of hiding places that will suit him, and I'm extremely excited that I found him! I've always wanted a madtom, of any species. :biggrin: But for now, he's going to have to deal with hiding behind the sponge filter, because that's the only QT I have available, and since it's a 5g, there's not much room for many hiding places. At least, IMO, it's better than a feeder tank.

Hey, Randall, my highly-sought-after-fish cost me a total of $0.10 apiece. How much did yours cost you? )

Comment

Very cool. I recently found a spot around here where tadpole madtoms seem to be abundant. When I added one to my planted 29g it made a beeline straight to my driftwood, and I haven't seen it since. Thinking about setting up an aquarium devoted to the guys so they can get use to me better as the source of worms and other goodies. Yours is almost certainly a tadpole. Looks just like mine, although as sea-agg stated looking at the mouth is the only way to be sure. Freckled occupy a different kind of habitat not compatible with the ponds grass shrimp are raised in.
          Last edited by decal; 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I got 2 Fundulus similis at FG too, in the same tank, and I also got 4 Lucania goodei at the same time. I was hoping they were Heterandria formosa as they were quite small and had the horizontal stripe. This was in February and they are still going strong in a community tank with F chrysotus, a rainwater killifish, and a couple of others I'm not sure of that I caught in LA.
            Keep checking there and you probably will eventually get the Lucania goodei, since they get new feeder shrimp all the time.
            Last edited by riofrio; 09-07-2010, 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
            Have Net Will Travel

Comment

did you pay in pennies!!!
              250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Originally posted by newb View Post
                At the time I paid a whole dollar for a dozen of whatever we got out of the feeder tank, but I paid from credit I had for some things I had previously sold them.
                Have Net Will Travel

Comment

Originally posted by riofrio View Post
                  I got 2 Fundulus similis at FG too, in the same tank, and I also got 4 Lucania goodei at the same time. I was hoping they were Heterandria formosa as they were quite small and had the horizontal stripe. This was in February and they are still going strong in a community tank with F chrysotus, a rainwater killifish, and a couple of others I'm not sure of that I caught in LA.
                  Keep checking there and you probably will eventually get the Lucania goodei, since they get new feeder shrimp all the time.
                  I know, it was so strange that they had NO bluefins this shipment. Two of the employees who were looking at my catch even commented on that. No worries, though, I'm patient. :)

Comment

Originally posted by newb View Post
                    At the register, I was so glad I had cash! I almost pulled out the CC for $0.43.

Comment

Working...
                    X