Who's the dad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the dad?

I have a guppy in my tropical fish tank, she got pregnant and had fry. The problem is that she is the only guppy in the tank! Which fish is the father of the babies? I have 1 Black Neon Tetra, 2 Red eye Tetras, and 2 Zebra Danios. They are the only possibilities of being the dad. The fry are slowly growing up and they all have the tail of the female guppy but the males are slightly colorful and have a pattern on the body. Somebody help me!
    THANKS!

Female guppies can store sperm from one spawning for months and use it to fertilize eggs again. She probably spawned before you got her.

Comment

I think that she mated with another fish because the male guppy fry don't have the male guppy tail. I use to mate guppies and none of them ended up with the tails like the fry have. You could be right but the males look different than usual.
      THANKS!

Comment

I concur with fishog. I don't think the tetras or danios were the culprit.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I also agree. Not only would it be impossible because they're very different species, but they're also different in that guppies are livebearers and tetras and danios are egglayers. Completely different spawning process. Even if they could fertilize a guppy to produce viable offspring, they wouldn't know how.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Sharks, particularly the benthic ones, can store sperm for well over a year. It's not an uncommon occurrence. Fish are masters at surviving. They will breed when they have the opportunity, i.e. when a male and female are together. Females will lay their eggs when the environment is optimal. In wholesale situations, the first situation (M&F together) is quite probable. At the same time, the second scenario (optimal conditions), is not. When you moved her to your tank, she probably felt comfortable enough to have her babies.

Also your fish in the tank fundamentally don't breed the same way, as Mzungu said.
            Guppy: Live-bearer, Males have a gonopodium (giant male breeding device).
            Tetras: Egg-scatterers, Males and Females scatter eggs & sperm.
            75 planted (Being Renovated)
            Endlers
            gobies
            lots of nanos

Comment

Thank all of y'all so much! I really appreciate it my question is solved!
              THANKS!

Comment

Working...
              X