HELP, make them stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, make them stop

Is there any way to stop fish from breeding? I already have one pair that have hatched babies in my maternity tank. Now I have 2 different breeding pairs going at it in my main tank. The problem is all the hormones have all the fish in my tank fighting. one group has run all the other fish to one side of the tank and another breeding group on that side are getting very aggressive. How can I make them stop? I am already missing one fish to this battle, and don't want to lose more.
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Get rid of the females. All of them.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

for some of the species I can not ID the female: Neolamprologus brichardi and Red Jewels

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
      5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
        Get rid of the females. All of them.
        +1

This is gonna be the only way...unless.........you want to get rid of all the males . Seriously , you may have to try and catch the female laying the eggs in order to identify the female .

Comment

Maybe try replicating winter conditions in the tank. Often fish breed when they feel it is the proper season. Reduce the temp by 5 or so degrees, turn your lights on an hour later turn them off a bit earlier, and put a bit less food in. Might not work....but it's worth a try.
          75 planted (Being Renovated)
          Endlers
          gobies
          lots of nanos

Comment

i don't have a heater in the tank so lowering the temp is not an option. I could adjust the light cycle I just don't know what times i should be on/off. I may have some fish to trade soon.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
            5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

I dont think trying to change the temp will do anything. You will have to remove the females by watching them lay eggs.`
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Well, I decided to rehome my breeding fish. I went today to collect the Brichardi to take to the new owner and when I look in the tank I find that just this morning they have hatched a large batch of babies. Great.... I thought I was getting rid of them and now a I have a bunch. I will still remove then and the babies are just on their own. I feel a little bad, but I already promised the parents to the new owner.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

What kind of brichardi's?

I have a empty 75 that's up and running i'll take some of them to raise out.

Comment

The babies are gone now since I removed the parents. Will see if any some how appear again in a few weeks.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Working...
                    X