Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dwarf Gouramis, General info and space considerations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Gouramis, General info and space considerations.

I've finally convince my girlfriend to get a fish tank. We're doing a small 20 gallon tank, and we both like the idea of a dwarf gourami. The threads I have read indicate a potential aggression issue. We're looking to make a 20 gallon tank, with a fair amount of artificial plants for hiding places.

Can different varieties, in this case Flames and Neons, be kept together?
    Do different varieties interbreed?
    Does aggression between color morphs increase or decrease?

I would think if interbreeding does not occur, then aggression may be reduced between competitive males. If interbreeding does occur, then I would think aggression would remain the same as if it were 2 similar males.

All considered, would 2, possibly 3 dwarf gouramis be compatible in a 20 gallon tank?
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

I'll answer the questions in a different order from what you've got there. . .

Yes, the different morphs can interbreed. They are line-bred variants of the same species, Colisa lalia. I'm not 100 percent sure if territoriality between morphs is more or less. What is common is that individuals or species that have a similar appearance or similar behaviors (for example, substrate spawners) are more likely to come into conflict because they're competing directly for the same resources (in the spawning example, it would be spawning sites). My guess is that the different morphs would treat each other in similar fashion, like you thought, but I just don't know for sure.

As for how many, I did a quick search, and I confess to being a little surprised. I've certainly kept two males together (for this species, and others) for years without anything I would consider to be too traumatic. Nothing more than chasing. I suppose it comes down to individual fish, though. Sometimes, it just won't work out. I think you could do two males, if there is adequate structure and nooks and crannies. . . or a male and a couple of females.
    Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

Colisa lalia (dwarf gouramis) morphs are sold as neon blue, red flame ect.(all the same species)- these guys are aggressive. However, unlike their cousins betta splendens, males will not often fight to the death given enough cover, as it sounds like you plan on doing. They will display to one another. They do have a tendencey to nip fins of any fish they can be it one of their own species. I've kept them in large groups,much like african cichlids with plenty of driftwood (had a breeding colony), easy fish (just don't leave them in a bag in a car on a hot summer day , while moving). Colisia chuna (honeydew gouramis) are smaller, not so really agressive. They are shy fish, they need to have cover to feel comfortable, never had any kill one another. They are slightly more demanding in water quality but still pretty hardy. As a note most of your fish you get at PetCart are all males crowed into disease tanks. These fish seem well, but are most often starting the downward trend by the time you get them to your home. I'd recomend getting them from a reputable LFS (alot of the ones in the houston area will also get females on occasion). A 20 gallon is a great size tank for them. I recomend lost of drift wood and dark gravel, it will bring out their colors. If you can, live java moss and ferns are great in the tank, your gouramis will pick off any small microorganisms (yum). Have fun!
      Emerald Green Rainbowfish
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
      X