Setting up guppy tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up guppy tank

Hey guys - I am wanting to set up a guppy tank - I just recently discovered the many varieties and how beautiful these small creatures are! I am in the planning stages now......They are SO small - need input for tank size, visual helps, tank scape, etc.............I do big tanks and big fish - so this is completely foreign to me. (Wish they made a tank out of magnifying glass!!!)
    Thanks so much,
    Lydia
    409-499-1279

What is your goal for the guppies? If you are looking for a pretty tank, then I would consider setting up a 20g or 30g. You can keep a lot of fish in that size tank and they look very pretty with 15 or 20 of them in a tank. I'd put lots of live plants with them, Val in back. water sprite planted. I'd add some intersting long, thin branches. I think I'd go with either sand or a small stone substrate in natural. Though a black gravel would look really good also. I'd have one or 2 pleco's and a school of corry cats in with them. If I have a pleco, I'd add a cave.

That's my thought for a tank. Hope it helps.
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

glad to see some intrest in livebearers and in my area.i live in vidor.
      i prefer 30s but 10s and 20s are good.
      dwarf plecos not commons.
      live plants a must for a show tank.
      guppies prefer bare bottom tanks but you want more in a show tank.
      there are other floating plants that work well with guppies and are nice in a show tank.
      java moss,christmas moss,hornswart, najas grass.just to name a few.
      shrimp make a good addition also .red cherrys,yellows, rc shrimp
      i have 20 varieties and many tanks of guppies.(there my favorite fish ,dwarf plecos second)
      just my thoughts .lets see some pics when finished

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your insight. I am used to big fish and big tanks - so this is a challenge. They are SO pretty - but so small its hard to see them. I have some 30's - so will go with that and have alot in there. I prefer to make the tanks as natural as possible and replicate the environment for the fish species. Will study up on their likes - obviously they like hanging out in plants!!! Smile. Nice to "meet" you both!
        Thanks so much,
        Lydia
        409-499-1279

Comment

Working...
        X