bluefin killifish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluefin killifish

Any recommendations as to where I might obtain some locally? I know Dan Johnson collected some in Buffalo Bayou, but I have yet to find them there myself. I'm up for buying some if any stores here carry them, I just want to avoid shipping.

I saw that he collected them, too, but I think that was a rarity.

I used to catch them in Florida, where they are actually native, but haven't seen any around here either - except sometimes in the feeder tanks at various LFS's. Check the tanks every time you go in. That's what I do.

Darn it. Gave away my secret...
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Houston Aquatics always has a few that came in with feeders and he eventually separated. If I remember correctly there were about 5-6 the last time I was in there.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Thanks, I'll give them a try. This (http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/speci...cimenID=252654) is also intriguing, but I don't think I'm up for a two hour drive to Victoria quite yet.

Comment

I got a few (very small at the time) from the Fish Gallery from the tank where they have feeder shrimp. They have done pretty well and grown ok in a community tank with goldspot killifish (Fundulus chrysotus) and other small natives. They probably would do better though in a tank of their own.
          Last edited by riofrio; 07-28-2010, 11:46 PM.
          Have Net Will Travel

Comment

Keeping and breeding bluefins.

Any suggestions on keeping and breeding this fish? I purchased 6 wild caught from florida. I have them in a 10gal with lots of plants. I've not found much information on them.

thanks for any help.
            Guppies:
            Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
            Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
            HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

They're pretty easy to keep and breed, actually. Keeping them in a 10g alone is a good start, especially with lots of plants! Do you have any moss in there? I've found that spawning mops and/or moss are a great help, since they'll use those for spawning.

If you're looking for a project, then you can always start up another, smaller tank in which to hatch the eggs and raise the fry. Or, you can go for the 'natural' method, and just leave them to themselves. You might not end up with as many fry, but either way will work.

Do you know how many male and females you have?

What are they eating?

These are one of my favorite fish. You are going to have fun with them no matter what you decide to do! :biggrin:

Comment

Here's a thread I started years ago with some info on the killies I had, if you're interested. :)

Dedicated to those fishes, plants and inverts endemic to North America: Discussions, aquarium husbandry, pictures, IDs, collecting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                  They're pretty easy to keep and breed, actually. Keeping them in a 10g alone is a good start, especially with lots of plants! Do you have any moss in there? I've found that spawning mops and/or moss are a great help, since they'll use those for spawning.

If you're looking for a project, then you can always start up another, smaller tank in which to hatch the eggs and raise the fry. Or, you can go for the 'natural' method, and just leave them to themselves. You might not end up with as many fry, but either way will work.

Do you know how many male and females you have?

What are they eating?

These are one of my favorite fish. You are going to have fun with them no matter what you decide to do! :biggrin:
                  I don't know the numbers male/female but several look fatter than the others. I would guess at least 2 females based on that. But I don't know if the differences between the sexes is obvious. Some don't seem to red on the cadual. Could be they are not happy in the tank still.

The seem to be willing to eat some flake. I've also grabbe water out of my pond and I orderedand feed them daphania.

They are quite shy so it's hard to watch them as closely as I would like.

I understand they hang their eggs on plants. I will try the mop method once I get them setup in a better location. Are the eggs big? What do you start the fry out on? Baby Brine shrimp? Or smaller foods?

Thanks!
                  Guppies:
                  Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)

Comment

Males will have blue (and some red) on their dorsal and red on their caudal fin. Females do not have these colors.

The eggs are big for this size fish, I'd say about 1mm in diameter.

The fry are pretty easy to raise, and I've never really had to feed them specially, since I never used a separate tank to intentionally rear them. With a planted tank and regular feedings of the adults, I had quite a few babies survive to adulthood. But since they're pretty large (again, this is relative. I mean large in the sense that they're not microscopic, lol.) they can definitely be fed baby brine shrimp at the beginning. Even crushed up flake will work.

How long have you had them? I've found that these are pretty personable fish, so it shouldn't take long for them to get used to you, start begging you for food, and generally not hiding from you. You will definitely be able to tell the males from the females once they're less shy - the males will display to each other and to the girls very often.

I only have a couple of these fish left, and you're making me want to get back into having a large group again! Looks like I'm going to head to a couple fish stores to raid their feeder tanks soon!

Comment

I spotted half a dozen scattered through Houston Aquatics two days ago, John had mentioned someone coming in and asking about them. He just had no idea that is what they were. I pointed them out so he should be able to point them out from now on. Also spotted what looked like a darter in the ghost shrimp tank, not sure because of the condensation.
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                        I spotted half a dozen scattered through Houston Aquatics two days ago, John had mentioned someone coming in and asking about them. He just had no idea that is what they were. I pointed them out so he should be able to point them out from now on. Also spotted what looked like a darter in the ghost shrimp tank, not sure because of the condensation.
                        Well, I went into Houston Aquatics today, and no luck. Not sure who John is, but I don't think he was there, because the people working had no idea what I was talking about and pretty much didn't seem to care all that much.

Oh well. :(

I'll keep on looking. :)

Comment

I should schedule a time that I'll be there, lol. I was in earlier buying a pink toed tarantula... They are sorta mixed into a lot of tanks, but all of them look great.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Haha. I stopped by Thursday afternoon, and my experience was basically identical to Mzungu's. I did see one randomly in a tank of livebearers, but I didn't feel like making them pick it out alone. I also spotted a trio of guppies harassing a mosquitofish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                              Males will have blue (and some red) on their dorsal and red on their caudal fin. Females do not have these colors.

The eggs are big for this size fish, I'd say about 1mm in diameter.

The fry are pretty easy to raise, and I've never really had to feed them specially, since I never used a separate tank to intentionally rear them. With a planted tank and regular feedings of the adults, I had quite a few babies survive to adulthood. But since they're pretty large (again, this is relative. I mean large in the sense that they're not microscopic, lol.) they can definitely be fed baby brine shrimp at the beginning. Even crushed up flake will work.

How long have you had them? I've found that these are pretty personable fish, so it shouldn't take long for them to get used to you, start begging you for food, and generally not hiding from you. You will definitely be able to tell the males from the females once they're less shy - the males will display to each other and to the girls very often.

I only have a couple of these fish left, and you're making me want to get back into having a large group again! Looks like I'm going to head to a couple fish stores to raid their feeder tanks soon!
                              I've had them about a week. What type of filter would you recommend? I was thinking a powerfilter would suck up the young.
                              Guppies:

Comment

Working...
                              X