Nanocube & Biocube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanocube & Biocube

soo my question is which one is better out of the two? i see nanocubes being priced alot higher, but both having crazy amount of corals in it... i know absolutely nothing about saltwater but seems very nice to have. and cant afford a monster set up so something small will do.. also do notice how nanocubes have different lighting... and which one will be better overall with lots o corals

I had jbj nano 12dx.

I think both are good systems. But for me it came down to looks.

The nanos just look better to me.

Both systems have a lot of after market and DYI mods.

Can't go wrong with either.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

the nanos look better to me as well.... and whats better the LED lighting option or power compact lighting option

Comment

LEDs are probably better. With PC's, you have to change the bulbs out every 8-12 months, and they can get expensive.
        Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

oh no, how much do they run? what about lifespan on LEDs

Comment

Well, the bulbs for the 14g biocube run about $30.00 a piece. LEDs are suppost to last forever, but I've heard many people say that they go out.

Comment

everything i've read says the average lifespan of a LED is something like 8 years. however i'd wait. i just read another article (i beleive it was on Advanced Aquarist website) on light "bulbs" coming out in the near future that uses LED's that fit right into your PC or T5 fixture you may already have. looks to come out in about a year or 2. there are already prototypes on display. in short, get the PC fixture and the technology will allow you to upgrade without the added cost!
              Softie Reef

Comment

Originally posted by snookfish View Post
                everything i've read says the average lifespan of a LED is something like 8 years. however i'd wait. i just read another article (i beleive it was on Advanced Aquarist website) on light "bulbs" coming out in the near future that uses LED's that fit right into your PC or T5 fixture you may already have. looks to come out in about a year or 2. there are already prototypes on display. in short, get the PC fixture and the technology will allow you to upgrade without the added cost!
                Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by aafjr2 View Post
                  oh no, how much do they run? what about lifespan on LEDs
                  I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

This website is for sale! nanotuners.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nanotuners.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Check these sites out.

I was going to get another JBJ and upgrade the hood to get the LED, but I found a good deal on an ADA 60p and stand I couldn't pass up.

I love these AIOs. They are like the honda civics to the car world or the glock of the gun world. A lot of mods.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

nice hmmmm... modding up a nanotank haha i wouldve never guessed...

Comment

lol, yup. All modded up like a rice burner on juice.
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

oh and whats a ballast?

Comment

A lighting ballast is a piece of equipment required to control the starting and operating voltages of electrical gas discharge lights. Examples of gas discharge light sources include fluorescent and neon lights and high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps. The term lighting ballast can refer to any component of the circuit intended to limit the flow of current through the light, from a single resistor o more complex devices.

A lighting ballast is necessary to operate discharge lights because they have negative resistance, meaning they are unable to regulate the amount of current that passes through them. A lighting ballast must be used to control current flow; otherwise the light could fail. Small light sources can use passive components, which require no additional power to operate, as ballasts. An example would be a series resistor that limits the flow of current across its terminals. For high-powered lights, however, a resistor would waste a large amount of electricity, so a more complex lighting ballast is required.

An electromagnetic lighting ballast uses electromagnetic induction to provide the starting and operating voltages of a gas discharge light. Inside each is a coil of wire and an electromagnetic field that together transform voltage. Some also include an igniter for high-power applications.

Electromagnetic ballasts limit the flow of current to the light but do not change the frequency of the input power. The lamp then illuminates on each half-cycle of the power source. This is why many fluorescent and neon lights visibly flicker. Since the light illuminates on half-cycles, the rate of flicker is twice the frequency of the power source, meaning the light will flicker at 100Hz or 120Hz. A lead-lag lighting ballast can minimize flicker when connected to two lamps by alternating the flow of current to them: one leading the frequency of the input power and the other lagging behind it.

A more modern type of lighting ballast is electronic instead of electromagnetic. An electronic lighting ballast uses solid state circuitry to transform voltage, but unlike electromagnetic ballasts, can also alter the frequency of power. This means that an electronic lighting ballast can greatly reduce or eliminate any flicker in the lamps. Because it uses solid-state circuitry instead of magnetic coils, it is also more efficient and therefore runs cooler.

Because of their greater efficiency and ability to reduce flicker, electronic ballasts are more popular than electromagnetic ballasts, and are often used to replace them. A few applications, however, require an electromagnetic lighting ballast, such as ballasts that must preheat or ballasts for extremely high output lamps.
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

ohhh i always wondered haha.... so i guess i will be going for nanocube cause i like the look and offers the LED out the bat... but biocube is 200 dollars less aahhh!!!!

Comment

Those nanocubes are $500.00?!

Comment

Working...
                              X