Angel babies are out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel babies are out

My angels have started breeding...they laid eggs yesterday.....Can some one help me regarding water changes....
    eggs are still goldenish in color so i guess if nothing goes wrong i might have a fry...
    thanks
    Last edited by dhavalsp; 08-14-2010, 09:19 AM.

Congrats!... kinda....
    well because if this is their first batch of eggs, and if you plan to leave them to be parent-raised, chances are that they will get eaten.

What is your question regarding waterchanges? Personally, if you leave them to be parent raised, I wouldn't do any waterchanges until they are free swimming at least. Parents get really aggressive & easily stressed while hatching a brood. The added stress might cause them to eat the eggs.

If you decide to hatch away from parents, pull the rock or slate or plant or whatever they laid eggs on and place into a 2.5gal tank with strong areation plus a couple of drops of antifungal such as meth blue. The eggs will hatch sometime around day 2-3 after being laid. During which, you and do partial water changes using a rigid airline, only enough to vacuum the floor to remove the gunk, then top up with aged tapwater.

It's the exact same method which i used to hatch rams HERE
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Eaten

Eggs are gone.....

@ nacra99...nice link very informative.Thanks.

Comment

Itll take a few tries, I got 3 breeding pairs of angels, one pair is 3 years old with no survivors they always eat the eggs, my blue/pinoy leo pair is on their third try and my half wild's are watching wigglers as I type this. I have not altered their weekly PWC schedule or feedings just keep it normal and the parents will do the grunt work.

Comment

Lets see...they are cleaning the glass again.....

Comment

expecting eggs to night hopefully on the stone...in the mean while i have a small 3 gallon tank ready(thts all i have) with a mix of fresh and old water from tank...i will add anti fungal in the afternoon....i am plannin to transfer the eggs in this tank...

any tips when i shud do this...how i shud do it ...any precautions i need to take...

thanks.

Comment

Okay so I was out the whole day and saw the eggs right now...dont know whether they are fertilized or not but the parents were just standing by them not working on them ;-)...so iguess male did his job, also last time i had seen them n male fertilized eggs right after the female laid them, so lets hpe they are fertilized...

Hoping that eggs are fertilized i have transfered them to small tank which was made ready as described earlier and added some antifungal. I have kept the airstone next to eggs for water circulation....

fingers crossed.

Comment

eggs have hatched and i have wrigglers in my tank....I also have some dead eggs attached next to the wrigglers...Should i remove the dead eggs, if yes then how....

Comment

now i think they are all ready....moving (wriggling) really fast...i can see proper tail, stomach, and two eyes....still at the bottom of the tank thou..its day 9..

One mistake that i did was i coudnt siphon the bottom coz i was scared that fry will come out with it, the are all attached to the smug or some white secretion, dead eggs i have in the tank....

When shud i start feeding them...need urgent help...

Thanks.

Comment

I dont feed my fry till a day or 2 after the egg sack is gone. To siphon I would just use a smaller plastic tube like the air hose and use that to suck up the turds.
                    A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYGEE View Post
                      I dont feed my fry till a day or 2 after the egg sack is gone. To siphon I would just use a smaller plastic tube like the air hose and use that to suck up the turds.
                      i m finding it a lil difficult to understand what do you mean by egg sac...and does it disappear after the fish start swimming or before??? thanks.
                      Last edited by dhavalsp; 08-15-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

When all the wigglers have fallen off the rock, take it out.
                        don't have to feed until they become free swimming. i.e swimming horizontally.
                        Aake sure you have some brine shrimp eggs ready. As soon as you see a couple become free swimming, start brewing your BBS eggs.
                        Within a few hours, the rest should go free swimming. By the time your BBS hatch, the ones that become free swimming first should be ready to eat.
                        Don't overdo the first batch of BBS. I don't know how big your batch is, but you shouldn't need anything more than 1/4 tsp for the first feeding. In fact 1/4 tsp is probably too much. But whatever the case, you'll probably have to siphon uneaten BBS up afterwards from the bottom of the tank. Daily siphoning and partial water changes help keep the ammonia down.

good luck!
                        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I couldnt get a BBS hatchery here in time, well all the parts to even DIY one. I am having to use frozen but they are eager for it. I lost that first batch in the other post I made here to the overflow but got the moss mesh on the strainer screen in time yesterday maybe 10 minutes or so before the first one started free swimming.

Today they were transfered to their own 40g acrylic cube with maybe 25g of half tank water where they came from and the other half fresh RO.

What heat do you keep the tank at? mine is at 84 I think.

Comment

Thanks...I have acquired some food from a friend who is breeding Zebra babies, it is a super fine powder...i have been giving them that...i dont know whether they are eating or not, does their stomach bulge up after eating and can this be seen distinctly?!?!?...the powder is dried algae i guess...not sue, will ask...

I am raising angel fries for first time.....the temp is at 78....when to transfer the fries in grow out tank???

Comment

Usually they are dime size maybe quarter size around 12 weeks or something like that, I too am attending my first angel fry rodeo, good part is my father used to breed wild angels back in the 60's and is helping me out.
                              I am using water rotted lettuce and BBS to feed them as this is the two best growth foods for them.

Id raise your temp to around 84.
                              Id trasnfer when they are around dime size.

Comment

Working...
                              X