Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New 55g Setup!

Hey guys,

I'm gonna start up a new tank. This time i'm going to plan it out and take my time. Right now i'm in the process of collecting all my gear. I think i'm still maybe 1-2 months away from setting this bad boy up. Gotta take my time and let my wallet recover. This is just a journal, so people can learn from my mistakes and or ask questions.

Tank

Elos System 70 with stand
    75cmx57cmx50cm (30"x23"x20") 55 gallons

Lighting

Maxspect G2.1 160w
    Zero Edge Light Stand

Gear

Vortech MP40w + MP10
    Mag3 return (probably upgrade to something later on)
    Apex Controller
    Bubble Magus Nac 7
    BRS Reactor (gfo/carbon)
    Nextreef Reactor (biopellets)

Consumables

BRS 3 Part
    BRS GFO, ROX .8 Carbon
    Vertex Pro Biopellets

Stuff I need to get
    Bubble Magus Doser ( delayed )

Obligatory artsy fartsy tank pictures

Precursor

Everything was growing pretty good. Everything but maybe 1-2 low light coral. The maxspect was prob too strong. I had T5 prior to the maxspect. If anyone was wondering....I had 2 clams in the plastic container. Reason why I put them in there was because I didn't want them to plant their foot into the glass. Didn't want to risk hurting them If I had to move them or take them out later.

The setup
    I had planned to journal this better but things got busy and i got lazy. So this is all I got.

I cut out some eggcrate to cover the bottom. I planned on having maybe a goby/shrimp combo and since the shrimp likes to make burrows. I didn't want to have a cave in, and have 50lbs of live rock hitting the bottom of the tank.

Next I tried to wire up my sump. Looks a bit messier now, I might get a custom sump soon. I've been looking at the stuff over at lifereef. But that man wants mucho money for a sump. Pretty stuff though.

I bought a separate stand for my electronics. I plan to house my ato, doser, controller/outlets. Vika Alex from ikea if anyones interested. It could double for a decent aquarium stand.

Then I got bored and wondered what the maxspect looked like under the covers.

Fast Forward
    I was cycling the tank, but then disaster struck. Temp tank was going down fast. Anemone was on its death bed. All the corals looked pretty bad. So I made the call to stick everything in the new tank. I had really good live rock in there from 2-3 other systems. 2 of them were systems with a heavy bio-load. I bought it from other reefers off marsh. Great rock with primo coraline growth. No pest algae at all. I put about 25-30 lbs worth of live rock in there. Then I bought 25 lbs worth of dry rock. I was playing rock legos for a while but didn't like how cluttered it started to look. I then took out most of the dry rock and was left with this. 25 lbs live rock + 15 lbs dry rock, and about 20 lbs rock in my sump.

Still got a bit of tidying up to do.

But everything looks pretty decent. I'm running the carbon/gfo outside the sump area for now. Until I find space for it down there. I put the dying anemone in an overflow box and directing the output from the carbon/gfo reactor to it. So far its looking better. Feeding it little chucks of silversides until it regains it strength. This ******* anemone ate my ORA yellow assessor. I loved that fish. On the fence if I should keep this anemone. I had a few more pictures, but it seems the tank is pretty reflective and I chill at the house in my boxers. So i'll spare you guys the pictures with reflections of me in my boxers. )
    Last edited by soymilk; 08-10-2010, 05:42 AM.

I know it was you who got that elos!

Straight ballin!

If I wasn't working on my 8 footer, I would have jump on that elos.

If you part the 60p. Show me love. I got dibs!
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

What stand is on that 60p?
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Not trying to part it though. I might part up the saltwater ada 60p, but then again i might keep it as a frag tank.... I dunno I gotta fig out what imma do with it. I got the elos for a decent price. It came with tank, stand, lightstand, and sump. I made off ok... still hurts the pocketbook though.

Last week I spent 2 hours cleaning that tank. Calcium and coralline deposits everywhere. Wish I did it the lazy way and filled it up with water and vinegar, but my cheap asian *** did it the hard way.

1 bottle of vinegar, and a toothbrush.

Coraline don't play... Next time wear gloves. Vinegar ate up my hands good, wasn't expecting it to take that long.... but it did. Now the tank looks great! Low iron glass is nice.
        Last edited by soymilk; 07-12-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

A cheapo 20g stand. I can't bring myself to pay 700 dollar for a stand when i paid only 120 for the tank. I might get the do-aqua stand for my saltwater setup. $340 @ www.adana-usa.com

I don't mind selling the tank, I just don't know what imma do with all the plants, and shrimp and stuff. I got CRS, RCS, and amanos. I have about 10 grade A,SS CRS in there. I don't know if they survived. I haven't seen them in a while, but theres alot of plants. I did see some new babies in there with even better markings than their parents.

Comment

I got a custom stand builder. I just want the tank, lights, and filtration/powerhead!

Regarding elos, yeah dude. New or used Elos is going to hurt the pocket book.

It an't easy ballin but someones got to do it.

I'm convince your gal to make you sell me that tank.

You know she don't like you having all that!
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

tank: ada 60p
              lights: fishneedit 150w MH (6.7k bulb though)

this was fw so i had an ehiem 2215, you could get away with that... but seems like alot of trouble.
              the other stuff is still on my other ada 60p so i can't break it down yet til my elos is up and running.

Comment

if i can find out what to do about all the livestock and plants, then you can grab the tank. did you see that ad in craigslist for an ada 60p for like 60 bucks.

Comment

Yo its gonna be sick! Can't wait till you start posting some pics. Have fun and that pocket of yours might be weighing less and less. But you be ballin kiddo!

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'm now on the epic search for a decent ro/di. Sooo many to choose from and seems like they are all around the same price point.

Comment

I ended up ordering a RO/DI from bulk reef supply. Great service and nice ro setup. Seems very sturdy and built like a tank. Might set it up this weekend. Still need sand and rocks though.

Gonna try to post some pictures up when i get a chance.

Comment

hey thai i got that 60p here if you want it, i was going to keep it as a frag tank, but running out of space at the new apt already.

i'm by westheimer and eldridge now.

give me a call (7) 376 7474, only 2 months old!

Comment

check your text playa!
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Ha ha I did the same thing, Got a saltwater tank and then sold the fresh water. There is just so much more going on in a saltwater tank. But hey that is a beautiful planted tank by the way.
                            75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

thanks! it looks like crap now since i had to cut it down so i could move it to the new apt.

update on my tank

finally got from my inlaws this past friday. Setting up the sump right now. Just bought sand and my gf got me a new vortech mp40w. Gonna try to use a MP40 + MP10. Might upgrade later on if i have some money. Broke at the moment.
                              Pictures later tonight after i go eat. Its my bday!

Comment

Working...
                              X