Area shop tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area shop tour

Today I made my wife go (she actually begged to go) with me to a few of the area fish stores I had not gone in yet (amazed there are some). So we went to Fish Gallery and Houston Aquarium Warehouse. Both are nice in their own way.

Fish Gallery was an amazing store, kind of like visiting Aquarium Word. It has some very nice tanks and lots of fish. What I did like was the very nice display tanks, but it had to much of a large retail store feel. It was good to have so many people working there to help, but I felt like I was at Walmart with employees around every corner.

Houston Aquarium Warehouse (HAW) was the second store we went to and it was a great experience. The owner of the store (Dustin) was there to help us and gave us lots of personal attention. He also seemed to really know his fish stuff. He was very helpful, but not in a fake way like he is just doing his job. He even shared ways for me to save money when I could have just bought stuff from him. I also liked the feel of supporting a local small business owner. He did not have some showy fancy store, but a true fish store. I did end up buying a few fish (his prices are very good).

Since I am reviewing a few stores I am going to include my local shop, Aqua Zoo.
    I stop by Aqua Zoo almost every week to look around for fish and to get ideas for new tanks. They have a true fish shop, kind of like HAW but a little smaller. They like Dustin really know their stuff and are a great husband and wife owned business. They tend to get most of my business due to the kindness and knowledge of the owners and the closeness to my house.
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

The tour continued today. I visited City Pets, HAW (again), and Aquarium Cabinets Inc.
    City Pets was a nice place. It was bigger than I expected with lots of fish and other supplies. I picked up a Koralia evolution for my tank and fought the urge to buy more fish. Liked the store, but what I liked most was I ran into a few HFB boxheads. It was cool to meat some fellow box heads and even got some advice.
    When at HAW I met the owner of Aquarium Cabinets Inc and got to see his shop and tanks. Supper nice guy and some great work going on in there.
    Overall I have been enjoying my Sunday drives/ tours.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

hey man it was nice meeting you today you should hit up ultimate fish on the north side they usually have some odd ball stuff you dont see anywhere else. also have you hit up Rainforest pets? its down off 518 and 45 its small and the fish part is tiny but Dale (the owner) knows what he is talking about and he will order you anything you want. i try to hit the place up when i get down to that side of town.

Comment

Have not been to either. I will put them on the list for the next trip. my fish loved the Koralia.
        Can't find a web site for Ultimate Fish. Do they have one?
        Last edited by freespool; 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
        5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

i looked and couldnt find one either so i guess not

Comment

Working...
          X