Is this Fish Shad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Fish Shad???

Hi I have been reading this forum for a while but finally decided to break out of my shell and post something.

Anyway, after the rains from Alex died out, I was walking my dog along Brays bayou when a flash of red in a mud puddle caught my eye. I went back home to get my net and was pleasantly surprised to find that the orange thing was a 14 inch Sarassa comet.

Anyway I went back to the puddles and caught a range of fish. I have been reading on this site that Shad don't make good aquarium fish, but I am not sure if the fish in my picture is Shad. I have kept these fish for years in San Antonio but they don't seem to like Houston's tap water because as soon as I transferred them to the tank (which was treated) they (the shads only) died. Now I have a tank full again thanks to Alex, but I would like to know if these are indeed Shad and has anyone had success with them? Only a few has died so far, but the ones that have were already floating at the top of the bucket when I got them home because the water from the puddles were really hot and oxygen poor
    Attached Files

Looks like shad to me.

Check out the site I linked in a previous thread:

Dedicated to those fishes, plants and inverts endemic to North America: Discussions, aquarium husbandry, pictures, IDs, collecting, etc.

Here are a few pictures of shad from that site, which were all caught locally.

From what I've heard and seen, shad normally don't do well in aquariums. Not exactly sure why. But there are some exceptions, and I've witnessed shad (that came from shipments of feeder fish) live in captivity for over a year now, and are still doing well. I think they're just extremely sensitive to water conditions, and need good, clean, well oxygenated water.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thanks so much. I hope mine do as well as before. They are so bright and silvery, they make for really beautiful schools. I hope they do as well as the ones I kept in San Antonio. I kept those in an aquarium with koi that I was growing out and then with some Texas Cichlids. I never had a problem before, so I was disappointed when I moved here and they all croaked

Comment

From the pictures on Dan's site, it looks like I have both Gizzard and threadfin Shad

Comment

Originally posted by Tek View Post
          From the pictures on Dan's site, it looks like I have both Gizzard and threadfin Shad
          Awesome! I'm anxious to hear how each species does in your tank. Hope they do well.

If I were you, I'd keep a very close eye on nitrates, if possible.

Can't believe you caught a Sarassa comet in the bayou, BTW. That's crazy.

And welcome to HFB!

Comment

Thanks. The tank I put them in is an aged tank, all the parameters are in check. It is a planted tank too, so that should help and provide hiding places for skittish fish.

Yes I was surprised too. I have seen orange looking things in the bayou before but I just thought I had a wild imagination. Its a big one too. looks like it has been feeding well in the Bayou. I didn't find it in the bayou though, just a puddle of water near my lawn where the water had receded.

Thanks again for the warm welcome

Comment

Also found this one in the puddle left by the bayou but have no idea what it is
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tek View Post
                Also found this one in the puddle left by the bayou but have no idea what it is
                From that angle it looks like some sort of chub or a Fathead Minnow. Would need a better pic to tell.
                PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
                  looks like some sort of chub or a Fathead Minnow. Would need a better pic to tell.
                  It is like a needle in a haystack in that tank, so just finding it is a challenge. It is only about an inch and a half long and it is in my 60g amazon tank. I have only seen it swimming in open water twice, but never long enough to snap a good photo. I doubt it is a fathead though, its body is not really all that club shaped. It has a more cylindrical body

Comment

Wow, I have no idea what that could be. If he/she becomes less shy in the future, maybe you could get a better picture? If so, post it here. I'd like to see it!

Comment

I dont know if this is out of subject....but does anyone know were is the closest place to houston were one could collect mexican tetras....
                      HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                        Wow, I have no idea what that could be. If he/she becomes less shy in the future, maybe you could get a better picture? If so, post it here. I'd like to see it!
                        Okay she came out for a bit this morning. I still had a hard time snapping a pic because she kept swimming straight towards my camera phone.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hmm... I hate to say it, but I think you have a juvenile bass (probably largemouth) on your hands.

How big is your tank? :)

Comment

funny you said that, but that was my original thought. If the little guy is indeed a bass then he will be moved when he gets bigger. the tank he is in now is 60 gallons but I have a 125 that he can go into. I also really want a 210 tank, so if I do get one, he will go in there with other cold water fish, and maybe some sliders

Comment

The last one is definitely a bass.
                              Charles Jones
                              http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
                              Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Working...
                              X