what do you do when a hurricane comes.. and power goes out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you do when a hurricane comes.. and power goes out

Just wondering what everyone does when the power goes out . I know hurricane season is definatly here.. I dont have a generator or anything. What does everyone do if the power is out for more than a day?

go to Walmart or Academy and go to the fishing section and look for "Bubble Box" on the bait aisle. Get stocked up on D-cell batteries and pray your power comes back each night.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Originally posted by newb View Post
      go to Walmart or Academy and go to the fishing section and look for "Bubble Box" on the bait aisle. Get stocked up on D-cell batteries and pray your power comes back each night.
      +1 make sure you have one for each tank and lots of batteries.
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I have two of these hooked up to my tank year round. Plus I stock D-cell batteries.

I have use the votech back up battery.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

for my saltwater tank i am doing the same as mj with a vortech battery back up. on my other tank i am using a power inverter hooked up to a car battery
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
            http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...peratedairpump

I have two of these hooked up to my tank year round. Plus I stock D-cell batteries.

I have use the votech back up battery.
            Never seen these before...Im ordering some when I get back from Cali.

Comment

Yes sir!

They work perfectly dude.

Zip tie them behind your eheim/fx-5 intake and you can't even see the air lines in the way.

Only kicks on when lights go out so you will always be prepared. If lights stay out longer then a day just add new batteries.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Comment

Im thinking of getting a 2000eu Honda generator just in case. Will come in handy anyways to power up other things in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by F_isforFISH View Post
                    Im thinking of getting a 2000eu Honda generator just in case. Will come in handy anyways to power up other things in the house.
                    It's nice to have a chunk of cash.
                    Do mind where you put it, the noise, the fume, running the cable, the amount of fuel used ...

I use the Penn Flax B-11 air pumps on all my tanks.

Comment

All of the above. In a stroke of luck, when Ike came through 2 years ago, i left town for 4 days until power came back on to our place. i lost nothing and was very lucky. Ironically i think it was the hair algae infestation that kept enough disolved O2 in the water.
                      Softie Reef

Comment

f for fish be BALLIN

Comment

Originally posted by newb View Post
                          I have 5 of these pumps, I also have 800 watts power inverter that i can hook up to a car/truck battery, I also have 5500 watts generator, the generator will power up other things in the house like: TV, Fans, Lights, Refrigerators.
                          Last edited by rama; 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM.
                          300 Gallon Moshi, Clown loaches.
                          180 Gallon Red Bulu, Clown Loaches.
                          120 Gallon Ikola, Clown Loaches.
                          92 Gallon Duboisi, Clown Loaches.
                          40 Gallion fry.
                          10 Gallon fry.
                          33 Gallon Shrimp.
                          4000 Gallon Koi.

Comment

I will be screwed. Stay tuned for a massive free fish listing on here when that happens.
                            Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                            150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                            17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                            5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                            3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

It's what you do before a hurricane. Be prepared. I need to go get me some battery opperated pumps. When Ike hit I only lost power for 2 days?( I went up to killeen) and my arrrowhead puffer did fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X