Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a 55g and need to know what all I will need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a 55g and need to know what all I will need.

I will be getting a 55g (stand but no SW lights). It was used prob about 4 months for FW so it does not have any of the equipments. I need help since I am quite new to SW. Right now I have a 29g Nano and became addicted so I'm moving on up. I guess I would need a sump, protein skimmer, and powerheads. And of course sand and live rocks which I can get at the end. I just need to know where and what all I would need for get this baby running smoothly and clean. Please point me in right directions. Much appreciated.

Is the tank reef ready? Otherwise you're gonna need to drill the tank or get an overflow box. Gear is all dependent on how much you wanna speed. Do you want top of the line or decent? Nice thing about sw is the over abundant choice of options to get.

On another note I just got a 55g tank too. Gonna go with a bubble magus nac6 or nac 7 skimmer, Ehiem 1260 return pump, maybe 2 vortech mp40. Light is gonna be a maxspect g2-160w.

Comment

Its not reef ready. Im prob have to get an overflow box then. I wish I had money for top of the line. Decent will do for me. I had Donnie at CP tell me a sump and overflow box will prob cost me about $220.
      Where do u get your equipments, Soy? So what kind of lighting will I also need?

Comment

220 sounds about right. Just get the eshopps overflow box. It's about 50-60 dollars. I have an old wet dry system you can have to get you started. Just bring me a 6 pack and we'll call it a deal. Then you can upgrade to a better sump later on if you want. Then you need to worry about a return pump. I used a cheapo maxijet 1200 until I could get a decent return pump. Geoff on this forum has a few nice used return pumps. So right now a basic system could cost you as little as 75-100.

As for the return pipe, there are some cheap 10 dollar ones floating around on different pet stores online. I'll post a link when I find a link. Lighting depends on what you wanna keep. Reef? Or fowlr?

For extra flow you could get some koralia power heads. 25-40 a piece. I get all my stuff online or used. Gotta save every penny when it comes to reefing.

Comment

Much appreciated. I know what u mean. My gf been telling me my SW hobby is getting more expensive than her. LOL. Let me know when you are free so I can swing on by and bring u some cold ones. I'll PM u so I can get your location and pick your brain when I see you. For another 6 pack of course.

Comment

Lighting & equip really depends on what you're gonna keep. Heavy on corals or fish? There are many ways to do this and get good equip for decent prices; if you are a DIY type of guy. The faster you get LR & sand in your tank the better, so it can cycle. The powerheads will also matter based on the type of stock for the tank. FOWLR you can go with Koralia #1 or 2s, corals may need more flow. I have lots of places to look for deals... you can email me if you'd like. shaneleedaniel@yahoo.com

Also, in the not to distant future I am going to be putting together a group buy for fish, LR, clams & corals from a wholesaler.... cheap prices! I've already received permission from the mods to post it. So stay tuned.

Comment

Its gonna be more of a fish tank with very little coral since I have a Nano that have my corals now. But who knows...maybe I will change my mind. Thanks for the info. I will email you later on.

Comment

Originally posted by dthang8 View Post
                I will be getting a 55g (stand but no SW lights). It was used prob about 4 months for FW so it does not have any of the equipments. I need help since I am quite new to SW. Right now I have a 29g Nano and became addicted so I'm moving on up. I guess I would need a sump, protein skimmer, and powerheads. And of course sand and live rocks which I can get at the end. I just need to know where and what all I would need for get this baby running smoothly and clean. Please point me in right directions. Much appreciated.
                I would NOT get a 55g if I were you. It's not much of an upgrade.
                There isn't much more you can do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rage View Post
                  I would NOT get a 55g if I were you. It's not much of an upgrade.
                  There isn't much more you can do with it.
                  Depends how you look at it. 55 gallon tank with a sump will be more than twice the water volume. The 55 gives you options the nano doesn't. Tons of skimmers, and other accessories you can't fit in a nano. So it really depends on what kinda setup you would want.

I just bought a 55gallon tank that I can't wait to start up.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
                    Depends how you look at it. 55 gallon tank with a sump will be more than twice the water volume. The 55 gives you options the nano doesn't. Tons of skimmers, and other accessories you can't fit in a nano. So it really depends on what kinda setup you would want.

I just bought a 55gallon tank that I can't wait to start up.
                    He has a 29G.
                    What do you suggest he does with the 55G? Especially if he wants fish only?

Actually, even for your tank, what are you going to do with it?

Comment

I'm doing mostly corals and prob 2 clowns and maybe another nano fish. I'm not too big on fish.

I didn't see his post about mainly fish with little coral. I was looking at it from the coral point of view. Not the fish only point of view. 55g is limiting for fish. But it could be interesting, all depends on what he wants to keep.

Comment

Thanks for the things soymilk. I'm just planning on keeping in there my saddleback clowns, bi color angel, and rust angel. The 2 angels are dwarf angels so they shouldn't be too big for tank. The 55g and stand were given to me by a friend. It beats having to buy another tank. What is really the concern? Too small for fish only? I don't plan on getting halide for lighting, just prob a T5. So what do you guys suggest I keep in the 55g?
                        Last edited by dthang8; 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

do you have the angels together now? you shouldn't have more than one in a tank that small
                          Resident fish bum
                          330G FOWLR
                          34G Reef
                          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

They were given to me by a friend. That's why I am moving them to the 55g which was also given to me by that same person. He didn't give me the sump or any of the equipments cuz he plans on using them on a new tank once he relocates in cali. Now that I got a wet dry box, now I need to know what kind of pump I am to get for that box since it didn't have one. I was told an inexpensive pump would do but just don't go cheap on the overflow box. Of course I want the best equipment but being unemployed for months now hampers a lot of things. So I have to get by with what I can. Does anyone know where (locally or online) I can get a good deal on the overflow and pump?

Comment

If you're not doing corals, I would go with PC lighting.
                              Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Working...
                              X