New Tank Setup Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank Setup Suggestions

I am going to setup a sw tank that Donnie sold me and would like suggestions from those that have been down the path. I’ve never done a sw tank and looking forward to it.

I want clowns (ocellaris and/or percula and no, this has nothing to do with finding Nemo, I’ve always like them, well before the movie made them popular) and seahorses (not sure what types yet).

I have a blank slate to work from, so any suggestions would be welcomed. I can say that I’m not into a planted tank or coral so if I could avoid this, that would be great (maybe one day I may be as I grow with the hobby). I would like a simple setup (this term being relative) and one that would promote a great environment for the tank inhabitants.

Thanks in advance and I’ll post pics as I go through the setup process.

What size tank is it? I have heard sea horses can be very particular and not sure you should put them with clowns.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

The tank is about 60 gal (36x18x21).

I have heard conflicting statements regarding the clowns and seahorses (50/50).
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice tank,

Ocellaris clowns are suppose to be less aggressive than perculas. But IMO sea horses should be kept in their own biotope tank. They are generally slow and messy eaters so they would appreciate less flow. They are usually kept in smaller saltwater planted tanks. Low flow, and lots of macro plants for the horses to attach to. The plants also help control excess nurtients in the water because generally they will not finish all their food. I dunno if you planned on having coral too but Corals and sea horses are usually not kept together. The coral could sting and kill the seahorse. Other fish might pick on the sea horses since they are slow swimmers. So most people just have sea horses and or pipe fish.

Are you going reef? Fowlr? Planted? I hope this helps.
        Last edited by soymilk; 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soymilk View Post
          Nice tank,

Ocellaris clowns are suppose to be less aggressive than perculas. But IMO sea horses should be kept in their own biotope tank. They are generally slow and messy eaters so they would appreciate less flow. They are usually kept in smaller saltwater planted tanks. Low flow, and lots of macro plants for the horses to attach to. The plants also help control excess nurtients in the water because generally they will not finish all their food. I dunno if you planned on having coral too but Corals and sea horses are usually not kept together. The coral could sting and kill the seahorse. Other fish might pick on the sea horses since they are slow swimmers. So most people just have sea horses and or pipe fish.

Are you going reef? Fowlr? Planted? I hope this helps.
          This is 100% right on. I am pretty new to salt myself however I studied about keeping seahorse for over a year. The pet shop I help at time to time told me the same thing. Also they are very slow eaters and can be starved out if there are fish in the tank who eat everything before they get their share.
          "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

Comment

i believe some or most sea horses like a cooler tank. not sure that would be good with most other fish.

Comment

Working...
            X