Guppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guppies

I have two females about to deliver...hopefully in less thn a week....I want too know how can i protect th fry from other guppies...I hav heard of and seen the grass which can be used as hiding place for the fry...

Can anyone please tell me wht is it called and where can i get it from...thnks....

There are a variety of different options. Almost any aquatic plant can harbor young fry as the parents have a reputation for eating them. I have always found floating plants to be more useful then those planted into the substrate. Any fish store should have numerous choices in this regard. Plants should be chosen based upon your lighting and water parameters, just tell the attendant and they should be able to assist you. My recommendations would be Anacharis, Cabomba, Wisteria, or Foxtail. All of them will be weighted and placed into substrate, just remove the weight and allow them to float about in the upper stratum of the tank until the fry have grown out a bit and replace the weight. Soon they will grow in and start climbing along the top again.

Another option is a breeding trap (Livebearer). They are sold in most aquarium stores and is placed in the aquarium wherein you place the expectant female. There is a v shaped opening in the bottom and the young fall out, thus separating the two. Should you have additional guppies in the tank then they could eat the offspring as well, so many hobbyist utilize a smaller quarantine or breeder aquarium for this purpose.

Hope that helps and good luck, they breed fairly rapidly and should your first not go well many will be soon to follow. Something I have found useful is to try and feed more often to reduce a desire to eat the offspring.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

I use a lot of Najas, Hornwort and duckweed, frogbit, and other rooted floaters.
      BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Originally posted by lilmissruffcountry View Post
        I use a lot of Najas, Hornwort and duckweed, frogbit, and other rooted floaters.
        I dont have aquasoil in my tank, just a thin layer of gravel...i dont think i hav much option of keeping rooted plants...the one tht i was talking about was just floating in the tank I saw at my friends place...

Comment

All of those we have listed do not require any substrate and are generally listed as low care type plants, they should all survive in your tank without anything being added. Just try out a few and see which do well, if any start to deteriorate heavily just remove them and try another. Any fish store will be able to guide you after hearing what you have and what you are trying to achieve. They are all fairly cheap and run a few dollars at most.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

If you want quick and easy, go with java moss. Most stores carry it.
            Jarrod - Houston, Texas
            150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
            17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
            5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
            3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
              If you want quick and easy, go with java moss. Most stores carry it.

I was thinking of the same after doing some search on internet....i will get them today...

Comment

Like those above mentioned, Anacharis, Hornwort, Duckweed (will take over any tank), Wisteria... All are incredibly easy and all you have to do is toss them in your tank.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                X