Sump/refugium designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump/refugium designs

I've looked online for diy projects but none of them really work out well. I'm going to turn an old 30 gal tank into that for my filtration device. I want the bioball filtration...skimmer...then live rock/sand refugium. Any suggestions??? I'm going to have it set up and hopefully cycled by September. I'll start at the end of July.
    Last edited by Jabrown7; 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM.

I have read that you dont want to use bio balls in a sump for SW allows dietrus to build up
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Then what do you use?

Comment

just a micron sock coming in from the tank then the lr and ls
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Do research on filter sock. Many people use them. Many don't.

I read that they are good to filter macroscopic particles and keep your tank cleaner and your skimmer works less but they are too much trouble to clean plus they filter out stuffs that are corals feed on too.

Comment

My sump is for filtration and house a CUC to clean up anything going through the over flow. So I have:

Section A, water coming to the sump from the display causing tons of water movement. Tons of LR.
            Section B, Water flowing to it over the top of section A. Dropping down to mix up surface accumulations. Skimmer, and a remote DSB in it's own container so I can change it.
            Section C. Return pump. 1 main, 1 Maxijet connected to UPS for emergency power out circulation.

Comment

Also check out this website for ideas. He makes some really nice sumps, but also tells you how to make your own. http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/s...ass/index.html

Comment

Here is my 30 gallons sump intake>return<refugium.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice design guys!

I would personally would have a section from macro-algae. Let the plants suck up some nitrates.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

you can put macroalgae in the area with LR. i have a $8 clamp on light from home depot on mine with a spiral 6700k pc light and my macrogrows just fine. good sump design. just hook up an ATO and all you have to do is feed fish and water changes.
                    Softie Reef

Comment

btw. I knew a guy that just used chaeto in the sump where your overflow comes in on his 10g nano. never needed a filter sock or floss. seemed to work for him just fine.
                      Softie Reef

Comment

I modded a model 75 trickle filter to use as a sump. I also use a sump sock, and would recommend one. Unless you plan on cleaning your sump regularly. I find food, gunk and all sorts of stuff in mine. Cleaning is easy as putting it in the washer with no soap.
                        This is how my filtration works now. water flows into the sump (through sock), Then overflows into the live rock chamber with protein skimmer, Them makes it through the cheato, and filter media, then to the return pump.
                        I have filters for incoming and out going water, just to keep it "supa clean".
                        Hope this gives you some kind of idea.

75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

Working...
                        X