Toad Spawn Massacre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toad Spawn Massacre?

I've been meaning to post this but just now got around to it. About two weeks ago a toad spawned (idk if thats the right term but oh well) in my dad's pond. The next day one of the goldfish died. The next day the rest of the fish were swimming on their sides, having trouble staying upright, and then croaked. There were 4 or 5 goldfish and a koi that were lost. I tested the water that night and everything came out normal. Did the toad spawn kill them? I read something about toxic eggs or an ammonia spike but idk what to think.

The filtration on the pond is a fountain pump inside a black box with three or four layers of foam and bioballs in the middle. Part of the output goes to a frog at the top of the waterfall and the rest goes to the fountain attachment. The pond is lightly planted and did have a case of green water before all this happened.

I've got a feeder goldfish in the pond right now to test out the waters. I'll probably add a couple more this weekend.
    Last edited by BeefyG; 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM. Reason: Added more info.
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

How big is the pond...gallons, depth, sun verses shade?
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Originally posted by lilmissruffcountry View Post
      How big is the pond...gallons, depth, sun verses shade?
      Its 90 gallons and about 18 inches deep I think. It has two plant ledges towards the front. It is near enough to a tree to get leaves in the water but it mostly gets full sun. I think it gets shade in the morning but I've never really paid attention to it.
      135 gal Fahaka Puffer
      150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
      185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

How long has it been running?

Comment

3-4 years or more I think. That koi had been in there by itself for a long time. The goldfish were mine and I added them around February or March.
          135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Hmmm. Is there a lot of leaves that get in the pond? And what kind of tree is it.

Comment

If you go back a few years you would see I posted the same thing. Those fish ate them selves to death. Stupid fish don't know when to quit eating.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I tried but I didn't find the post John. I hadn't considered them overeating but that would make sense... any suggestions on how to keep it from happening again?
                135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Working...
                X