WTB some mosquito eating fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB some mosquito eating fish

as titled..anything that would eat mosquito larvae...
    for the pond...
    thanks.

Put a minnow trap in any local waterway and you should be able to get some Gambusia. Also you can get gold shiners from the bait section of Gander Mountain. Just be sure to let them you you would like to pick them out, so they don't sell you the half dead ones. Also take a bucket and aerator if you go that route.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

how good do gold shiners eat mosquito larvae?
      never been to the bait section of the grander mountain....
      what would it be like? you net on your own?
      and what is a aerator?

Comment

yea i go to any local bayou and scoop them out i just use a net similar to ones used for catching butterfly

Comment

Originally posted by madugo View Post
          and what is a aerator?
          Aerator is another name for an air pump, Nick is referring to the battery operated ones that are sold at bait shops, some pet shops or Academy that can be used along with a 5 gallon bucket or any other container like a cooler.
          150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
          125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
          115G Tanganyikan

Comment

how good do gold shiners eat mosquito larvae?
            never been to the bait section of the grander mountain....
            what would it be like? you net on your own?
            and what is a aerator?
            Gold shiners are generalist feeders, so insect larvae are on the menu. They will generally net them for you, but I would ask that you would like to pick out the ones you want. Al already answered the other question I see.
            PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Texas Parks and Wildlife website says these have been found in "excess of 8 inches"...is this normal?
              Our Fishhouse
              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
                Texas Parks and Wildlife website says these have been found in "excess of 8 inches"...is this normal?
                Seems it is normal? I didn't know they got that big, either!

madugo - any small native fish that you can find around here will eat mosquito larvae. Killifish (Fundulus) are exceptionally fond of mosquito larvae, as well, and are very easy to keep. I would bet that even if you went to any LFS and picked up some Rosies, they would eat the larvae, too. (If you already have some fish in your pond, don't add any new fish without quarantining first)
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by algarciajr View Post
                  Aerator is another name for an air pump, Nick is referring to the battery operated ones that are sold at bait shops, some pet shops or Academy that can be used along with a 5 gallon bucket or any other container like a cooler.
                  ah i see..
                  i have one of those lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
                    Gold shiners are generalist feeders, so insect larvae are on the menu. They will generally net them for you, but I would ask that you would like to pick out the ones you want. Al already answered the other question I see.
                    so the gold shiners do get pretty big?
                    the thing is that my pond is pretty shallow...
                    maybe around 7" deep...
                    so maybe something smaller is better?
                    and it is a turtle pond....
                    so i d like some fish that can swim faster to avoid being eaten by the turtles...
                    and how big are the gold shiners they selling? at what price?
                    thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                      Seems it is normal? I didn't know they got that big, either!

madugo - any small native fish that you can find around here will eat mosquito larvae. Killifish (Fundulus) are exceptionally fond of mosquito larvae, as well, and are very easy to keep. I would bet that even if you went to any LFS and picked up some Rosies, they would eat the larvae, too. (If you already have some fish in your pond, don't add any new fish without quarantining first)
                      i have no fish in there at all...
                      and good place that i can net good amount of native fish?
                      i just dont want to go to a place and spend a whole day and only catch like little to no fish...
                      do you know anywhere that carry any cheap feeder guppy or something like that?
                      thanks mb

Comment

i have no fish in there at all...
                        and good place that i can net good amount of native fish?
                        i just dont want to go to a place and spend a whole day and only catch like little to no fish...
                        do you know anywhere that carry any cheap feeder guppy or something like that?
                        thanks mb
                        a couple of months ago extreme was selling mosquito fish as guppy feeders...I dont know if they have any right now...but good luck!!
                        HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

Just found this little article that summarizes some of the more popular species of native fish that are used as effective mosquito control:

University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension outreach is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. The University of Florida (UF), together with Florida A&M University (FAMU), administers the Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Also, I am going to move this thread to the Native section. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                            Just found this little article that summarizes some of the more popular species of native fish that are used as effective mosquito control:

University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension outreach is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. The University of Florida (UF), together with Florida A&M University (FAMU), administers the Florida Cooperative Extension Service.

Also, I am going to move this thread to the Native section. :)
                            thanks mb for the nice article~!~

Comment

thanks mb for the nice article~!~
                              Sure thing! I never knew how pretty Leptolucania ommata were. They're on my list now.

Comment

Working...
                              X