First saltwater tank newb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First saltwater tank newb help

This is my super attempt at nano tank and I know its is quite small and that bigger tanks usually are easier but its all have to work with. I my questions is this:

1.Tank is a 5.5 ADA tank
    2. filtration will be from an Eheim 2228 275 gph and vortech mp10. Will this be enough?
    Can I use OLD live rock from a previous tank in the filter? This rock is "salty
    " and has been out of the water for about 6 months. I have not rinsed it whatsoever. My substrate will consist of Ocean Direct caribblean live sand. I am in the process of having a custon over flow for a sump.

Shoudl I ditch the old "live rock" and buy new rock from the LFS or will the old rock be fine? Thanks for any advice. I plan to cycle to the tank for about 2 weeks and um not sure if I shoudl use a fishless cycle or a fish cycle. This is my first go around with a saltwater setup. I am very familiar with freshwater. Thanks in advance for any help.
    ADA mini-m planted
    ADA mini-m riparium
    ADA 30-C nano reef
    ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
    ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
    Eheim 90cm SA biotope
    110g Peacocks

well heres my question. is it going to be a reef tank or fish only?

The filter system should be enough. but think about adding a skimmer in a month if your going reef. It will also be use full with a fish only setup.

I would use the old rock after giving it a rinse (make sure it was never treated with copper). There will be some die off on it that will help cycle the tank. I would also buy a few new pieces of rock just to add to biodiversity. New rocks will bring in coraline algae and other organisms. You can cycle the tank with just live rock, but i chose to add damsles. They are 4-5$, mean, but hardy. I had 2 cycle my tank and both lived.

Also try to add as much rock as you can at startup. This will be your biological filter, and if you add more later it could push your tank through another cycle.

Half of having the fun of a saltwater tank is research, and would advise you to look up fish and coral before purchasing. Also the faster you go the harder you fail. Dont try to add to much livestock at first. Give your tank time to mature beween livestock purchases.
    75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

Who makes the smallest skimmer? I don't want some huge monstrosity of a skimmer. I want my tank to seem as clean as possible
      ADA mini-m planted
      ADA mini-m riparium
      ADA 30-C nano reef
      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
      110g Peacocks

Comment

theres a few small skimmers out there. If your doin a small overflow sump, add some chaeto algae in it. Just make sure it getting some light. You dont really need the skimmer if your doing fish only, or corals (like most zoas) that like nutrient rich water.

Comment

For such a small tank, your skimmer choices are going to be limited, unless you run it off a sump. Biocube makes a little air driven limewood skimmer. I have used the berlin "airlift" skimmers. They work pretty good but are uber ugly. I used to get little acrylic venturi skimmers from Kyle from Sapphire Aquatics. He took a hiatus from the hobby and i'm not sure if he's back, but google "sapphire aquatics skimmer" you might find some places with old inventory.

Personally i would ditch the "old" dry "live" rock and go get new ones from the store.
          For such a small enclosed system, you want to start out with as much biofiltration as you can get. "old" dry rock is technically no longer "live".. it's dead. It can be used as base rock in order to stack your other live rock, but i wouldn't count on it to provide the biofiltration and biodiversity that a fresh live rock can (at least not for a few months until things start to colonize it).

I'm part of the school of people who advocate choosing live rock that is light (not heavy) for its size. You'll know... some pieces are small but immensely heavy, some are huge but not so heavy. This is because live rock that is light for its size tend to be more porous with lots of surface area for good bacteria to hang out.

For cycling..... if you start with fresh live rock, it should cut down cycling time dramatically. You can throw in a molly or two to help the cycle along, but if you had gone to the LFS and gotten new live rock, chances are you will get the usual live rock dieoff (aka "curing") where critters living on the rock dies (this is normal) and provides the ammonia for the cycle.
          However if you have some $$ and are impatient (like i am), just pick up a bottle of biospira (i'm not sure what they call it now since tetra bought it.. comes in a refrigerated purple bottle) and poof! instant cycle! Although i would wait at least 24 hrs before adding anything.

Also, IMHO, stock slowly & lightly!
          Last edited by nacra99; 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Man thanks everyone for the help! Now I just need someone to build me an overflow and sump that won't break the bank! Any suggestions?
            ADA mini-m planted
            ADA mini-m riparium
            ADA 30-C nano reef
            Eheim 90cm SA biotope
            110g Peacocks

Comment

Probably Sapphire Aquatics.

Comment

sapphire is no longer in business or doesnt deal with individual consumers. I need an overflow!!!!! The sump I can build my self. And I dont want some HUGE overflow. I want it to look clean.
                ADA mini-m planted
                ADA mini-m riparium
                ADA 30-C nano reef
                Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                110g Peacocks

Comment

this is prob what i'm gonna end up getting. A lil bit on the pricey side but it sure does look nice.
                  http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html
                  Nano

Here is what it looks like in a tank
                  http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=193539

I've been to FG twice already man, you MIA haha. I got a deal on a new ada 60p so looks like imma set me up another tank soon.
                  Last edited by soymilk; 05-05-2010, 03:47 AM.

Comment

keep in mind that if the overflow is clear, It will let light in and algae will start growing in the overflow and can cause flow issues if not cleaned. That is the reason why i love my dark tinted overflow.

Comment

soymilk, think that think will fit on my mini-m?
                      ADA mini-m planted
                      ADA mini-m riparium
                      ADA 30-C nano reef
                      Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                      110g Peacocks

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!!! I will post some pics this weekend to give you an idea of what Im going for.
                        ADA mini-m planted
                        ADA mini-m riparium
                        ADA 30-C nano reef
                        Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                        110g Peacocks

Comment

Originally posted by tang-chaser View Post
                          keep in mind that if the overflow is clear, It will let light in and algae will start growing in the overflow and can cause flow issues if not cleaned. That is the reason why i love my dark tinted overflow.

But it looks so much cleaner when its clear haha. I think imma get clear and just clean it every now and then. Just like what I do for my lily pipes.

Here's the diam for the Nano overflow box
                          Outer box: 4 1/2" x 3" x 9" high
                          Inner box: 4 x 2 1/2 x 6
                          Output connection 3/4"

bust out the tape measure

Comment

what light are you using?

Comment

i use cf lighting. I know cf lighting is a lil out dated. I have 3.47 watts per gallon and have been able to almost double the size of my frogspawn in month and a half. I might switch to t5s later this year. But in my opinion you can still have great growth in a low light tank by placement, feeding, and keeping optimum water parameters. I have a tank thread here http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...-75gallon-Reef
                              Last edited by tang-chaser; 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X