No announcement yet.

Bristlenose Pl*co's w/ Fancy Goldfish??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristlenose Pl*co's w/ Fancy Goldfish??

Anybody here have experience combining bristlenose pl*co's with fancy goldfish? My next planned tank is probably going to be for fancy goldfish, and I presently have a few dozen b/n fry in my current tank. I was wondering if I should try to hold onto some of them for the future.

I've found mixed reports on the 'net. Some warn against it because the goldfish may nip at the pl*co's, but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with fancies, they're too slow. I've also read warnings about pl*co's sucking the slime coats off of fancies, but they seem to apply to common pl*co's. I'm more concerned about the water for the goldfish being too cold for the b/n.
    - 7 neon tetra

10g:
    - 1 long-finned zebra danio
    - 3 black bristle nose pl*cos

how cold are you planning to make the water?? The two should be able to live peacefully with each other but I've never heard of anyone making the water cold for gold fish.
    If it ain't wild caught
    You ain't doing it right

Comment

Most of the fancy goldfish do best between 65F and 75F. Any warmer than that is really not good for them. And they can take it as low as about 59F.

Bristlenose do well between, what, about 70F and 80F?

I think they'd be okay together.
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Front, I'm not talking about actively chilling the water for a goldfish tank, just not putting a heater in it. I keep my thermostat low in the winter 'cause I'm cheap, so the tank would have the potential of dropping into the 60's occasionally. But, if I'm putting some b/ns in there I will probably add a heater and just keep it turned down.

Of course, this is all theoretical; at the moment I lack funds and when I do have money my wife may convince me to build a planted tropical community. I was just wondering because I'd hate to give away all my b/n fry and then wish I had some a few months later.
        - 7 neon tetra

10g:
        - 1 long-finned zebra danio
        - 3 black bristle nose pl*cos

Comment

Working...
        X