Crawfish/Fiddler Crab/Driftwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawfish/Fiddler Crab/Driftwood

I live in Central Austin, and I'm looking for places where I can find wild crawfish, fiddler crabs, and driftwood.
    I've asked on yahoo answers and I usually get replies about pet stores and how dangerous wild driftwood is, I don't want replies like that.
    If anyone knows any places in Austin, let me know.
    Thanks

Originally posted by SwoYo View Post
    I've asked on yahoo answers and I usually get replies about pet stores and how dangerous wild driftwood is, I don't want replies like that.
    ) I wouldn't either!

I'd start at any local permanent body of water, really. Crawfish can be found in tons of places. The same with driftwood. Fiddler crabs, probably not.

I'm not too familiar with Austin, so I can't be more specific, but I'm sure others will chime in with more help. :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yes I've checked one lake a couple of miles from downtown but with no luck..
      I hope others chime in...

Comment

You'll probably have much more luck looking in streams/creeks/roadside ditches.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well, the main problem is that I don't really know that many bodies of water or streams around here..

Comment

I have seen crawfish and driftwood in the San Marcos area as well as Inks Lake. Both are about an hours drive, but would certainly yield results should that be what you seek. As far as Fiddler crabs go, I have only found them near New Orleans and east along the gulf coast. All the specimens I captured were from brackish waters and could survive in fresh, but would likely prefer a full or partial marine environment. Some Petsmarts and Petco locations stock them and might be an easier source then a roadtrip. Other crustaceans you can find locally are ghost shrimp and Gammarus (scuds). They both live in fresh water completely and should survive in a biotope type aquarium with a few crawfish.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

I have heard about driftwood in San Marcos but I don't know the area the best, as well as any streams/lakes..
              A New Orleans trip is somewhat far, but yes I've found the crabs at walmart and petsmart, but they are all brown and maybe some white; no variety..
              Where can I find the scuds?

Comment

Come down to Houston and you'll catch crawfish until you're sick of them. I second looking in ditches. Creeks that run through farms or ranches are often rife with them. Just keep an eye open for crawdad holes, that'll pretty much give them away. If you ever end up down here I'll specifically recommend the reservoir, bayous & ponds within the George Bush Park up on I-10. I went to school at Texas a few years back but didn't do much fishing at the time, but then again I haven't fished much down here in years either. You just have to get out and look around. Google maps helps a lot.

As far as scuds, they are almost everywhere there is plant life, leaf litter or algae, you just have to lift that stuff up and take a close look.

Comment

there are fiddler crabs at walmart in houston you could check at yours
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------

30 gallon
                  : 15 lambchop rasbora , apistogramma cacatuoides (orange) pair, pearl guorami, sterbai cory cat, siamese algae eater, ottos, bristlenose pleco, snails, and lots of plants.

Comment

Working...
                  X